Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1080 Posts

·
Trail Rider
1,303 Posts
Replaced Turbine cranks with Next SL G5, added ESI grips, and I9 stem. The stem was actually a net gain of 10-20 grams, don't quite remember.
Dropped a half pound on weight. 27.95#

·
Registered
210 Posts
Geometry of the S5 looks like a good candidate for me. I am 6'4" with 36" inseam. Not too long of reach and very high stack. Comparing this bike to a Fuel EX. Will be used for rooty single track with lots of quick steep ups and downs. No long descents or climbs. Looking for an efficient plush bike for riding my local trails. I would probably go with the $4000 comp vs the $3400 Fuel EX 8. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. etc. I did ride an XL and XXL Fuel EX today. XL felt quick and snappy. XXL felt a little slower and lumberous. XL Fuel EX has 500 reach and 623 stack. Stump S5 has 505 / 640. Same reach but a little more stack with the stumpy.

·
Trail Rider
1,303 Posts
Fact 11 carbon fiber frame, same as the S-Works except for the carbon shock extension, which is alloy on the comp. Full SLX. The wheelset on the SJ is also much better than the Line Comps on the Fuel. The attention to detail and engineering of the Stumpy is next level. I had a '17 Fuel EX 9.8, it was a pretty good bike, but not as sublime as the Stumpy.

The frame itself is a work of art.

Having been a Santa Cruz fanboy for many years, I never thought I would own two Specialized mountain bikes. I had a 2011 26" carbon SJ that I absolutely loathed, couldn't sell it fast enough.

Specialized has really transformed into an engineering powerhouse, have really brought their A game in the past couple of years.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Most reviews it seems like the SJ is a bit more efficient peddling than the evo, I just read a review on the SJ expert " Specialized Stumpjumper Expert 2021 review " and this guy certainly did not seem so. I get it can be very subjective, but I was wondering what others who have rode both SJ & evo impressions were.
So as we jump on down the road here with analysis of bike frames? It wasn't long ago that shorter "snapier" was in fashion and now we can't get long enough. We want a CJ-5....no-NO we want a station wagon! Which is it? I've had them all. My peference for cross country is about a 67.5 head angle and something that doesn't ride like a sponge. Yea, I do like to actually feel the trail. What I see in the mountain bike world is ever heavier riders with ever increasing suspension and for the most part heavier bikes. I can't predict the changes to come, but there will be changes! I have a 2021 S-Works SJ along with a bunch of other Specialized mountain and road bikes, my family still has about 10....all passed through Uncle Charlie (Me). Lately I've been riding my 2018 Camber with a 140mm up front, the bike weighs 24lb 8oz with no dropper. If there is a better pedaling bike on singletrack? I'm unaware of it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
By the way, the best description I have for the 2021 SJ with 65 degree head angle is that I feel like I'm in spin class. Why? Because the 25 trails within an hour of the house where I ride the most are taken by this beast so easily that I don't even have to look much at them, all things easily ridden over at speed with little if any acknowledgement. Yep, that's where we have gotten. As I've said before to the locals who endlessly state to me a trailbuilder, "Don't sanitize the trails!" My response to them is simply, "Don't buy a bike such that I have to park a Greyhound bus in it to give you a challenge."

·
Registered
41 Posts
So as we jump on down the road here with analysis of bike frames? It wasn't long ago that shorter "snapier" was in fashion and now we can't get long enough. We want a CJ-5....no-NO we want a station wagon! Which is it? I've had them all. My peference for cross country is about a 67.5 head angle and something that doesn't ride like a sponge. Yea, I do like to actually feel the trail. What I see in the mountain bike world is ever heavier riders with ever increasing suspension and for the most part heavier bikes. I can't predict the changes to come, but there will be changes! I have a 2021 S-Works SJ along with a bunch of other Specialized mountain and road bikes, my family still has about 10....all passed through Uncle Charlie (Me). Lately I've been riding my 2018 Camber with a 140mm up front, the bike weighs 24lb 8oz with no dropper. If there is a better pedaling bike on singletrack? I'm unaware of it.
I was just wondering if their was much difference between the two bike relating to peddling.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was just wondering if their was much difference between the two bike relating to peddling.
You would think the 2021 regular SJ would pedal best, but there again all of us are different and sometimes drastically so. I remember reading for some time about the short chain stays on the 2017 SJ as bringing a new life to the trail. At 5 9 and 1/2 I bought a large and it was BY FAR the WORST cycling experience I have EVER had. Felt like even sitting in the parking lot I was doing an ender. It was the worst bike for me ever, nothing comes close. As opposed to that I had a large 2009 Epic that I raced. For a 26er it was outstanding....with one small issue and that was the brain lasted a week at a time. Yep, it would last one week then blow up. But the geometry was fine!

I love the 2021 SJ and when riding with my buddies that's the one I use. But for the trails I ride it numbs them down to plain boring at times. I have a 2019 67.5 degree head angle hardtail with fluffy tires that I enjoy far better for most of the local trails. The 2021 makes it sidewalk; the hardtail brings back some challenge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up my SJ comp carbon in a denver bike shop a week ago. Amazingly they had 3 of the bikes I have been looking at in my sizes so I rode them all and decided on the comp carbon, the full SLX group made the decision easy. Now I just have to stare at it til the snow melts out west.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Built up my S-works frame last week. Very impressed with this bike so far. I'm coming from a big ass Guerilla Gravity Megatrail that I rode everywhere despite it being a huge bike, and the difference is stark. There is some magic going on with the flex stays. The SJ uses it's travel fairly easily but doesn't bottom harshly and also is incredibly poppy, probably the stays acting as preload on the rebound side. The only negatives from a build perspective were the rear triangle internal routing, which is not a tube inside the stay but rather a cavity that doesn't guide the cable to the exit hole very easily, and the rear brake caliper mounting. I have no less than five T25 keys and none of them can easily torque the top mounting bolt when the wheel is on.

Cheers!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Built up my S-works frame last week. Very impressed with this bike so far. I'm coming from a big ass Guerilla Gravity Megatrail that I rode everywhere despite it being a huge bike, and the difference is stark. There is some magic going on with the flex stays. The SJ uses it's travel fairly easily but doesn't bottom harshly and also is incredibly poppy, probably the stays acting as preload on the rebound side. The only negatives from a build perspective were the rear triangle internal routing, which is not a tube inside the stay but rather a cavity that doesn't guide the cable to the exit hole very easily, and the rear brake caliper mounting. I have no less than five T25 keys and none of them can easily torque the top mounting bolt when the wheel is on.

Cheers!

View attachment 1912138
Nice build! I have the same frame on order, but going to do X01 AXS and I9 wheels. I'm curious when did you order your frame? I ordered Oct. 27th and ETA is mid Feb. to late April. I'm dying to get mine built up and ride!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nice build! I have the same frame on order, but going to do X01 AXS and I9 wheels. I'm curious when did you order your frame? I ordered Oct. 27th and ETA is mid Feb. to late April. I'm dying to get mine built up and ride!
I ordered mine from Fanatik on 12/7, used their notify me feature to get my order in right when their stock hit. I tried to use my LBS, but unfortunately, they weren't able to give me any info on when the frame would be available.

·
Trail Rider
1,303 Posts
Ordered mine late November (frame) after emailing Specialized rider care. Spez told me the frame I wanted (green) would ship out mid-to late December, so, ordered through LBS.

Middle of December came, LBS told me it was pushed to late March/Early April.

Curiously, to my LBS's surprise, frame arrived January 2nd.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hey Fellow Stumpy fans, I was out of the country for December riding Road bikes but now back home in Arkansas and I’ve taken my 2021 Sworks out twice this past week. As I mentioned back in November I love the bike but the rear shock doesn’t do well deep in its travel even when adding 25-30 psi above my ready to ride weight. I’m 165 RTR and I ran both 185 and 190psi and still bottomed the suspension off smaller drops and hard G-outs. At this point I’m not adding more air but instead ordered the Fox DPS specific Volume Spacer kit. I’ll have it on Wednesday and I’m going to experiment with a few different tokens while running the recommended PSI to Sag ratio I like. Hopefully this allows me to get the bike more composed on bigger landings because the shock feels good in both the first 1/3 small bump as well as Midstroke portion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey Fellow Stumpy fans, I was out of the country for December riding Road bikes but now back home in Arkansas and I’ve taken my 2021 Sworks out twice this past week. As I mentioned back in November I love the bike but the rear shock doesn’t do well deep in its travel even when adding 25-30 psi above my ready to ride weight. I’m 165 RTR and I ran both 185 and 190psi and still bottomed the suspension off smaller drops and hard G-outs. At this point I’m not adding more air but instead ordered the Fox DPS specific Volume Spacer kit. I’ll have it on Wednesday and I’m going to experiment with a few different tokens while running the recommended PSI to Sag ratio I like. Hopefully this allows me to get the bike more composed on bigger landings because the shock feels good in both the first 1/3 small bump as well as Midstroke portion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The PSI recommendations are wayyyy off, I am running 230 and am ~190 RTR. What was your sag measurement at those pressures? When I used bodyweight I was around 35%.

961 - 980 of 1080 Posts