Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in Wisconsin we have a warm spell this week. The roads are clear, just wet. But we are still in our freeze/melt cycle (freezes at night/wet during day). Id still like to use my studded tires on my commute but don't want them to wear excessively. I don't mind pushing the extra heft but I'm just worried ill ruin my tires prematurely.

Is it ok to run the studded tires? I am kinda lazy and dont want to be swapping tires back and forth.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
spazzy said:
So in Wisconsin we have a warm spell this week. The roads are clear, just wet. But we are still in our freeze/melt cycle (freezes at night/wet during day). Id still like to use my studded tires on my commute but don't want them to wear excessively. I don't mind pushing the extra heft but I'm just worried ill ruin my tires prematurely.

Is it ok to run the studded tires? I am kinda lazy and dont want to be swapping tires back and forth.
Same here I ride studs from sometime in Oct/Nov till April.

My Mount and Ground Nokians have something like 10,000 km...the studs don't wear out ...the rubber on the tread wears out faster, I probably have another seeson max left in them....

Ride away....oh yeah that is with the Nokian steel/carbide stud....the Nokian aluminium/carbide stud also wears slowly but will tend to pull out more....

Studs without carbide tips probably won't last a 2000 km say.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
jeffscott said:
My... Nokians have something like xxx km...the studs don't wear out ...the rubber on the tread wears out faster.
Ride away....oh yeah that is with the Nokian steel/carbide stud....the Nokian aluminium/carbide stud also wears slowly but will tend to pull out more....
Yup, I have used my carbide tipped Nokian WXC 300 on dry roads a little. The studs themselves don't wear, but the soft rubber is subject to a fairly high rate of wear.

I don't think Innova uses carbide tipped studs, so they are subject to wear when used on pavement.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
spazzy said:
They are steel, not sure about carbide tips or not. Innova 268 in a 2.1
Look at the studs if the are carbide tipped you will see the tip and the body of the stud kinda like the carbide teeth and a circular saw...if the tip and the body look the same it is a steel stud, ride as little as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts