Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'v been really enjoying riding my Bombtrack Arise SS for the last few months.
A few months ago, I tried to remove the rear wheel and I totally stripped the hex part of the rear thru axle. I had to drill out the bolt until the thread came lose and eventually was able to remove the axle.
I blamed a bad axle and bought a axle-project axle to replace the old one... things were good.

Until the other day, I tried to take the wheel out and the axle was totally stuck again. I learned from my mistake the first time and was very careful not to strip the bolt head again. I undid all the bolts that tighten the sliders in place and eventually, I managed to get the axle to come loose...without stripping it. Stress!

I've been single speeding for 15 years on bikes with sliding dropouts. Mostly with quick release axles but I also have a more recent Kona Unit with a thru axle. Never had any problem.
I feel like the axle binds somewhere. Anyone ever had a similar problem? Could it be that the dropouts are not aligned?
Is there a way to be 100% sure the dropouts are aligned? I usually eyeball that the wheel is in straight and call it good.
It also makes a weird noise when I tighten the bolt down. And the axle seems much tighter when trying to undo it.

Honestly, I'm not sure I will be able to get the wheel out of the frame in the event of a flat.

Any one has any ideas?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Your dropouts are not aligned. Loosen the bolts that hold the sliding insert before tightening and before loosening the axle. Ideally you would get your dropouts aligned but few of any shops have a dropout alignment tool that works with thru axle dropouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rippin da fAt
11,898 Posts
The high volume shop with a well respected service department would have such tools as well as a frame table for aligning frames. That is a limited few, since those items are costly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm currently having this problem myself on my '21 vitus escarpe. I've had the rear wheel off several times with no issues since buying the bike new in June. Always have added grease when re-installing. Now I've got to replace the worn out rear tire and the axle is seized. I've not yet stripped the hex head, but I can tell it will strip if I go any harder. I've tried PB blaster, heat, tapping the hex head with a hammer, still stuck.... This sucks.

I have seen the same issue with a brand new Kona process in my buddy's shop. What's the deal?

·
Rippin da fAt
11,898 Posts
I'm currently having this problem myself on my '21 vitus escarpe. I've had the rear wheel off several times with no issues since buying the bike new in June. Always have added grease when re-installing. Now I've got to replace the worn out rear tire and the axle is seized. I've not yet stripped the hex head, but I can tell it will strip if I go any harder. I've tried PB blaster, heat, tapping the hex head with a hammer, still stuck.... This sucks.

I have seen the same issue with a brand new Kona process in my buddy's shop. What's the deal?
Warm it up, place some torque on it and tap the wrench while under torque with a kitchen hammer. I use this method on many things with success.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.