Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Kind of a lurker here...but now i need some help. LONG story short, i got this damn aluminum stripped foot nut stuck on the bottom of my 2006 drop off 2. Any possible ideas on getting it out without destroying the damper?

Any help is welcomed,
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
blank said:
Hey,
Kind of a lurker here...but now i need some help. LONG story short, i got this damn aluminum stripped foot nut stuck on the bottom of my 2006 drop off 2. Any possible ideas on getting it out without destroying the damper?

Any help is welcomed,
Thanks!
How stripped ??? good 6 point socket, Try hammering on a 7/16" 12 point. Take it to a machine shop for an evaluation.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,876 Posts
Those footnuts should be removed/installed with an impact wrench. Have you tried this yet? I realize it's rounded, but the nature of the interface is going to make it difficult to get the foot-nut off, because the cartridge will simply turn as you try and turn the foot-nut. This really compounds the issue. Maybe just stuff a bunch of epoxy in a socket and glue the damn socket to the foot nut, (will take quite a while), maybe use that epoxy-putty stuff, then when it finally hardens impact-wrench that b*tch.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Is the nut damaged on the outside, threads or just spinning I wonder?

If the nut looks good perhaps the damping rod is just spinning when you turn the nut. If that is the case it has helped me to extend the fork to put some load on the damping rod.
Sometimes it takes an extra set of hands. (some other brands or models work well when aired down (or spring removed) and compressed.)

That is why an impact is helpful for removal though I wouldn't use one to install the nut.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the thing. The cartridge isn't spinning. The outside of the nut is stripped. The epoxy sounds good except there is the adjusting needle at the bottom. i was thinking of making a tiny slit and breaking the nut in half with a screw driver. I got an impact wrench might try you idea Jayem.

I just really don't want to ruin the threads on the compression cart...gerrr

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
BE CARFUL, that cartridge shaft that extend into the nut is aluminum, I broke 1 on an AM 1 fork, cost over 100 bucks with a discount. I'd say, if you can't get a clamping tool on it, maybe send it into Zoke for the repair

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No money to send it in...ugh this is messy...can't fit anything in there either, such little space and don't want to ruin the lowers...

Anyone know what thread it is? I assume metric? (on the damper itself)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts