Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a late model ibis mojo and and still dialing the ride (are we always), as its fairly new to me. I have a thomson seat post on it and recently realized its a bit too low. But on trying to move it, it actually will not budge! I dont remember it being a tight fit going on. Ive tried to let several teflon lube marinate the tup of the seat tube after removing the seat tube collar tightening clamp, but no luck. Not even with hammering on the two tensioning bolts on the thompson. And the the bottle braze-ons are far enough that i dont think they cinched down somehow on the seatpost. Any suggestions how to get this thing off?

Also I did have a lateral body slam after hitting a rut the other day, but I can see any damage to the bike other that my brake lever getting twisted...

Is there a chance I bought too large a diameter of seat post - anybody know what the mjo is supposed to take?

I have an idea of putting it under hot water or perhaps using my GF's sand-filled heating compress, absoluting nuking it in the microwave and wrapping it around the seat-tube to heat it up ... havent had time yet.

Any thoughts?????

thanks
b

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
15 ways to unstick a seatpost (sheldon brown's site)

shapirob said:
Is there a chance I bought too large a diameter of seat post - anybody know what the mjo is supposed to take?

thanks
b
Assuming that it's the correct sized seatpost, try some ammonia... and be sure to grease that post next time!
try using the search function for mojo seatpost size, you outta come up with something there.

"Aluminum seatposts frequently become stuck by corrosion also, and penetrating oil is almost useless against aluminum oxide. Fortunately, aluminum oxide can be dissolved like magic by using ammonia."
from sheldonbrown's site
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. and iin terms of lubing the post prior .... Ah ... not sure, I susual do that, but perhaps I forgot. D the aluminum carrosion apply if the seat tube is steel? The bike sat for a year before I used it (inside thought) so perhaps thats part of the issue. Does anyone know what the correct diameter seat post would be for a Mojo?

thanks for the input!!!

b

{QUOTE=logbiter]Assuming that it's the correct sized seatpost, try some ammonia... and be sure to grease that post next time!
try using the search function for mojo seatpost size, you outta come up with something there.

"Aluminum seatposts frequently become stuck by corrosion also, and penetrating oil is almost useless against aluminum oxide. Fortunately, aluminum oxide can be dissolved like magic by using ammonia."
from sheldonbrown's site
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alibi said:
for the mojo is 28.6 mm.

I wish mine would get stuck; same combo and I have trouble keeping it in place.
Well alibi - just pretend you dont dont your supposed to lube the seatpost, clean it and the seat tube with solvent, reinsert, ride for 6 months in lots of mud and viola - your set!

I just wanted to than everybody for helpiing out with this one - the combo of cold and ammonia did work, and there was still serious cranking involved. I forgot to write back and thank everyone.

Lots of orange corrosion was in there. Plus it made my black thompson considerably uglier, as the whole point was to raise the seat.

But I was a little conerned about the inside of the seatpost though as it feels rough, like some areas are raised and other not, despite lots of cleaing (was not sure what agent to use). It also looks there was some sort of inner primay layer as well?? Is there anything anybody recommend to do to the seat tube to preseve it, given its a little lumpy (other than greasing the post!!!). Wire bursh, some coat of something, sand it a bit with something micro. Note after the removal and cleaning, my seat find and chinches fine.

thanks

ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.