Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cannondale CAAD 8 aluminum frame with a Campy Record Carbon post stuck in it.
I tried putting an old seat in the post and twisting with all my strength. Then I dripped lube (Finish Line) on the post and the tob of the seat tube. It's still stuck

Anybody know how to dislodge the post (hopefully without killing the post or the frame in the process)?

Thanks!

·
www.thegardenjumps.com
17 Posts
putting the seat on and twisting seems like a good start. Also lubing it is key, so it seems as though you are on the right track. lube it up well and let it soak in and try again with the seat twisting.

If that doesn't work, you may lose the seat post... When I worked at a bike shop a guy came in with a similar problem (he didn't have a nice seat post though) we tried to get it out and couldn't. I then drilled a hole in the seat post, put a screw driver through the hole, and put a different seatpost on the screwdriver. I then had a couple guys hold the bike while I twisted. This allowed me to get tons of tourque and the post broke free. It would be a shame to ruin your seat post, but if it comes to that, I feel confident that you could get it out using a similar method.

·
Registered
857 Posts
What kind of oil are u using?

If all fails do the BB removel like dadat suggested.

Hitting stuck things like this from the other side has always instantly worked for me.
Of course not all things can't be hit with oil from the other side in this manner, that is where a really strong but really thin pentrating oil comes in to seep through the threads as far down as it can.

You could also try a towel and a big plumbers wrench, that would probably give you the most possible torque.
As soon as you break it from it's current stuck position, it will come right out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The first issue is why is it stuck, usually aluminum/steel combos sieze from the formation of alu-oxide. you would not have that reaction with carbon, not to say the problem is not oxide, if so. Try anmonia(sp?) like you get to clean a floor, it will dissolve al-oxide. be carefull with what you soak in there alot of petro products will eat carbon epoxy, worst comes to worst, cut the seatpost and use a jab saw to cut down inside the seat post and pull it out.
sam
peloton cyclery
st. charles, MO

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
My ex-pro bike mechanic cousin swears by this technique: Turning the frame upside down, clamp the seatpost in a large vise, then grab the headtube with one hand and the rear dropout with the other hand, and push/pull/twist gently. The frame becomes in effect a very large lever, and pulling/pushing from both sides helps eliminate binding.

Those Cannondale frames are pretty stiff, but still, you'll want to use reasonable restraint with how much force you use! ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ventilation

cazloco said:
Yes. Ammonia would work even better than kerosene and probably safer too. I'd like to change my answer to ammonia, if I may.

caz
Remember to have enough ventilation when using the ammonia!! That stuff will wear a hole straight thru to your brain and knock you on your @$$

Good luck!

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
kosmo said:
My ex-pro bike mechanic cousin swears by this technique: Turning the frame upside down, clamp the seatpost in a large vise, then grab the headtube with one hand and the rear dropout with the other hand, and push/pull/twist gently. The frame becomes in effect a very large lever, and pulling/pushing from both sides helps eliminate binding.

Those Cannondale frames are pretty stiff, but still, you'll want to use reasonable restraint with how much force you use! ;)
second that,
also, take off rear wheel, and make the dropouts flex out a bit. That may help brake it loose too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.