Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search of this forum and saw discussion of carbon posts, aluminum post in steel frames, but my issue is differrent. Aluminum post stuck in an aluminum frame. I tried liquid wrench. I tried hitting post with a hammer (both up and down). I tried turning it back and forth with seat on. I was able to turn but only about 90 degrees, and I could barely get it back to original position.

I tried a pipe wrench on the post but have not tried a vice. I just don't think the vice alone will do the trick. What next? Heat? Cold? Its a Specialized Epic frame so I rather not have the paint peel if I can. Coca Cola (as I saw this in another post)? Please help.

Thanks, Brett

·
Slowpoke
234 Posts
Elbow grease!

You're gonna have to sacrifice the seat post but it will work. Start by cutting the post just above the top of the seat tube and then use a hacksaw blade to cut the post from the inside of the post to the seat tube (be careful not to cut into the tube). Make a few cuts and you will be able to take the post out piece by piece.
Good luck! :D

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
heatstroke said:
Before you cut - I would just keep twisting the post and dribbling in wd40 .
try and twist the post up and down
I would only giv up twisting once you break the post.
Yes, cut as a last resort. Try the vice. Clamp the seatpost in a vice. Hard enough that you start to crush the post. Then it won't spin. Grab the frame and start twisting and pulling. If you can turn it 90° you should be able to get it out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heat?

How about heat via a propane torch? At this point I don't care about saving the post, but don't want to hurt the frame. I was thinking that if I apply the torch to the post, heat it up that might help. Any thoughts?

G

·
Take the bottom bracket out and drip some lubricant into the seat tube through the hole in the bottom bracket shell(the bike is upside down at this point). You can tap the seatpost with a piece of wood. You can apply some heat, like from a space heater placed close to the frame, I don't know about a torch. You want to heat the frame, not the seatpost.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
redsnakebite said:
How about heat via a propane torch? At this point I don't care about saving the post, but don't want to hurt the frame. I was thinking that if I apply the torch to the post, heat it up that might help. Any thoughts?
Probably not. Heat will cause thermal expansion of the seatpost, making it tighter in the frame. You could try heating the frame. But you want the frame to expand faster than the seatpost.

·
Registered
125 Posts
stuck post

i had a stuck seat post and got it out. i used a hair dryer on the frame to get it hot and make it expand. then, while the frame was still hot, i took some computer duster (that stuff in a can) turn the can upside down and spray it on the post. it will turn ice cold instantly, causing the post to contract. The post came right out with no damage to either. try it. i bet your post will come right out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Solved?

After trying hair dryer on frame and blaster on post it still would not come out. I never tried vice. And I never tired amonia. I cut off the seat post and cut vertically into pieces the seat post. This sucked as there was a good 6 incges of post in the frame. It worked but it took forever. Thanks to all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.