Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to send my RP3 back to Fox due to a severe stuck down RP3. I don't want to take it apart and have it blow up in my face.

Anyway, the Romic is a very nice shock. I cannot say I have a preference between the Romic and RP3. The Romic is very good. I'm a weight watching dude, so the RP3 will go back on but I could easily ride the Spot with the Romic (as I did for over a year).

It feels like the Romic rides higher in its travel then the RP3. It also seem to absorb bigger hit more smoothly with less compression to my tail. The Romic also doesn't seem to wallow mid stroke as much.

If anyone has a Fox DHX for sale or loan :) let me know. I bet the Spot would rock with a DHX on it.

I'm thinking about buying that Z1 from Chucksbikes.com and putting the RP3 on for a more freeridish Spot. However, the much lighter Revelation is probably as smooth, lighter, and stiffer.

I love my Spot!

Jaybo

PS does anyone know if changing the pivots is all that hard on a Spot and do the pivots make noise post install? One guy was saying his BB pivot made a squeek after changing 'em. That would suck.

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
that guy would be me. my bike still tinks after the new pivot, but it feels tight back there so I have just gotten used to it. And no, they shouldn't make any noise after you put new pivots in. I just am too lazy to track down my "tink tink" issue, but I think it's still my BB pivot.....

I just ordered up a new rp3 today [a deal I absolutely could not refuse], so I hope to enjoy the shock and avoid the dreaded "suck down". So, I'll be taking my Romic off [2 years + w/out a problem or rebuild! It's really quite a nice shock] and keeping it as a backup. I am running a 2004 Z1FR on my spot and really think the fork is more than what the spot was designed for, but it's so nice and cushy - doesn't hardly bob around either. I do notice that if I dont conciously remind myself to get my upper body over the bars thru fast sweepers, the slack head angle due to the Z1 makes it push a little bit. That's the only handling caviat you should be aware of before making the switch. Otherwise, it will totally transform what you think you can do on your spot.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Jaybo said:
I'm thinking about buying that Z1 from Chucksbikes.com and putting the RP3 on for a more freeridish Spot. However, the much lighter Revelation is probably as smooth, lighter, and stiffer.
That's the old skinny 30mm stanchioned Z1 with the bolt on brace. They warrantied many of those because of the creaking crown. It's easily less stout than the Revelation making your bike even less freeridish.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
rp3 stuck down fix for dummies

the fix for that is pretty easy to do without risk of self or shock and can be done with a vise, a old t shirt and a band clamp. darren at push gave me all the tips ya need. pm me if ya ever need to know how. just dont hit me.

Attachments

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tell me about these rockers

Blue Shorts said:
The Romic is a great shock. I like mine, too. I also like the RP3, but it works far better with the longer rockers than it does with the shorter ones.
So, you need the rockers and a new shock? I have been impressed but not overwhelmed by the RP3. I am quite sure it isn't better than the Romic.

Jaybo

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Jaybo said:
So, you need the rockers and a new shock? I have been impressed but not overwhelmed by the RP3. I am quite sure it isn't better than the Romic.

Jaybo
No. You don't need the rockers or a new shock. It's all up to you.

In my case, I had the romic and the original rockers. I bought the RP3 basically as a spare. At that point, I wasn't overly impressed with the RP3.

Then I heard that Turner created the longer rockers specifically to deal with the RP3 issues that I experienced...... I wasn't getting full travel when I set it up for 25% sag. If I set it up for full travel, it rode too low. The longer rockers took care of that.

That's when I bought the longer rockers. Even after all of that, the Romic is still almost as good. Now I swap them out as I choose. It's fun to try diferent things.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What size RP3 do you need?

Blue Shorts said:
No. You don't need the rockers or a new shock. It's all up to you.

In my case, I had the romic and the original rockers. I bought the RP3 basically as a spare. At that point, I wasn't overly impressed with the RP3.

Then I heard that Turner created the longer rockers specifically to deal with the RP3 issues that I experienced...... I wasn't getting full travel when I set it up for 25% sag. If I set it up for full travel, it rode too low. The longer rockers took care of that.

That's when I bought the longer rockers. Even after all of that, the Romic is still almost as good. Now I swap them out as I choose. It's fun to try diferent things.
What size RP3 do you need with the new rockers? How much does Turner charge for the rockers?

Thanks,

Jay

PS It seems the RP3 riders higher. I wonder why....

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Joker,
Check the Rockers thread (also linked the FAQ). It has pics and measurements of both the 5.1 and 5.3 rockers. Many people ride the RP3 on 5.1 rockers and are quite satisfied. Try it first before you go looking for new rockers.

That said I liked the DHXc a whole lot better than the RP3...but there are several people who prefered the opposite. (Tscheezy and others) Try it first. The RP3 is lighter and snappier than the Romic, but I was able to get the Romic to ride more plush than the RP3.

The DHXc blew them both away by a significant margin (with respect to what I like) I'll gladly take the extra weight. I have not tried the 5.3 rockers.

Also note: Fox has several internally tuned presets depending on if it's an OEM, or after market shock. Some RP3s ship with very different internal valving than others.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Roy said:
That's the old skinny 28mm stanchioned Z1 with the bolt on brace. They warrantied many of those because of the creaking crown. It's easily less stout than the Revelation making your bike even less freeridish.
Sure hope you meant 30mm stanchion. Z.1's never had 28mm stanchions to my recollection.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
778 Posts
How much are rockers and do you have to get them from Turner?I replaced my romic with a rp3 and have had problems getting full travel unles i run it with to much sag.The romic was more plush but the bike felt slugish compared to the rp3.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I completely agree with that assessment

Mr Pink said:
How much are rockers and do you have to get them from Turner?I replaced my romic with a rp3 and have had problems getting full travel unles i run it with to much sag.The romic was more plush but the bike felt slugish compared to the rp3.
The Romic seems to have a more linear stroke to it also. No wallowing mid stroke with that smooth coil feel. I want to try a DHX. I bet it rocks. However, the RP3 does make the bike pedal much better as you stated. My experience exactly. I wonder if the DHX pedals as well as the RP3.

Jaybo

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Mr Pink said:
Before getting the rockers I would recommend getting the RP3 Pushed. That should make a substantially larger difference than the rocker change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.