Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 1st ride my new 2008 66 ATA stuck down at around 4" of travel and would not return.

Set up was 100 PSI in the PAR, 70 PSI in the ATA, and 0 in the RC3. Fork was on a new Delirium T.

The fork appears to be very slowly extending as it sits in the garage.

Any suggestions on a fix or does it need to go back to Zoke?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering about the rebound. It has one or two audible clicks and turns about 3/4 to 1 full revolution. This seems a like a small amount considering the ATA knob has 25 clicks for the travel adjustment (at least it did when the fork had full travel). There is also not a very noticeable effect on the rebound damping when I turn the rebound knob.

I have played with the rebound settings, but it almost seems like the negative air side is pulling the fork down. I can pull it up somewhat but it always returns to around 4" of travel.

I am going to play with it tonight and then pull it off the bike and plan on sending it back Monday if I can't fix it.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
string said:
I was wondering about the rebound. It has one or two audible clicks and turns about 3/4 to 1 full revolution. This seems a like a small amount considering the ATA knob has 25 clicks for the travel adjustment (at least it did when the fork had full travel). There is also not a very noticeable effect on the rebound damping when I turn the rebound knob.

I have played with the rebound settings, but it almost seems like the negative air side is pulling the fork down. I can pull it up somewhat but it always returns to around 4" of travel.

I am going to play with it tonight and then pull it off the bike and plan on sending it back Monday if I can't fix it.
yeah, something is off with the rc3 knob. it should have quite a few more clicks/turns than that. no idea if that's the overall problem, or if messing with it will fix it, but something is off with that.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like the rebound / RC3 could be part of the problem. I still wonder if there is an issue between the positive and negative air chambers. The fork feels like it is being pulled down and the more I rode the further it sunk. I played with the air pressures and pushed and pulled on the fork and got the travel up a bid, but nowhere near when it should be. It just sinks down no matter what.

Kind of a bummer for a first ride on a new bike. I have not even gotten to post the build pics yet of the Delirium t...oh well...still going to post the full pics Monday.

I pulled the fork off tonight and am going to send it in. I just don't feel the need to break open a brand new fork.

Here is the fork at full travel after I took it off the bike. I guess I should have stuck with my Pike since it was already a 5.5" fork.

Attachments

·
Chilling out
6,030 Posts
My 2c (*not* being familiar with the '08, only the '07, 66 ATA)

- Air up the RC3 side to counter the negative spring (e.g. get to full extension), shouldn't take MUCH pressure. Last time I rebuilt the ATA side on mine I made a bit larger negative spring side, and I put about 20# of air in the RC2 side to balance that.

- Now set ATA side for sag as required.

I used to run zero RC2 side, but now that I'm not I swear the fork "feels" happier. Totally subjective though and easily wishful thinking.

Still, seems odd. Sorry to hear about the problem.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have the same problem with my Totem 2-step except it only happens sometimes and usually when i'm on pavement or in the living room (it doesn't happen on bumps or descents). It just flies through its travel without any spring action what so ever, just damping.

I'm pretty sure that this problem is inherent with large volume air springs combined with high tolerances that the seals can't keep up to. That along with plenty of abuse. This niche is a tough one.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the very limited time on the fork, it did seem to use the first part of the travel quickly (based pretty much on riding down the driveway and down the street).

We are going to see if BTI will take it back since it broke out of the box, otherwise its heading to Marz. Regardless, it will be in heading out somewhere today.

I am going to give the 66 ATA one more try since it seems like a good fork if I can get one that works. I would have opted for the Totem Solo Air, but I really want the travel adjust.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE

Spoke with Marz USA this morning and their thought was a bad o-ring on the compensator piston (not that I fully understand what that means), but in short air is getting stuck in the fork causing it to stick down. It does require servicing by Marz to fix.

They are picking up the tab for overnight shipping I might add. (at least they are stepping up thus far)

I also opted to have them do the works tuning while its there...might as well throw good money after bad and turn this 66 ATA into the fork it should be. Plus since they have to take it apart for the works tuning, hopefully they will flush out any additional problems that might exist.

Will update when the fork comes back.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2nd UPDATE

Marz turned the fork around in about a week and I got it back yesterday. They covered overnight shipping there and two day shipping back. Plus they did a mini works tuning at no charge (basically added the works oil).

Fork seems to be working this time...rebound dial has 25 clicks instead of 1 and the fork is no longer stuck down. The first ride will tell more. Unfortunately due to work and what looks like rain, it will probably be Saturday before a proper test.

Thus far Marz USA's customer service has been good considering it was a broken new fork.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts