Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I did a search on this problem and I see several similar, but I don't see any solution to this particular problem:

I am running a Deore crankset with XT bottom bracket, ES71, which is octalink. I have self-extracting crankbolts and the driveside came off fine.
Problem is, when I went to remove the left crank, instead of extracting, the crankbolt just broke out the extracting cap! (see photo #1). So I sprayed WD40 in and let 'er soak for an hour, then put on the intact extractor cap from the driveside crank arm. But, as I'm unscrewing the crankbolt, I see that this extractor cap is starting to bulge just like the other one did, before it split into 2 pieces (photo #2).
Methinks the crank is just on too tight. I put it on myself and I know the octalink is greased well, but it has been untouched for 2 years. I started hearing a click which is why I was pulling the crankarms in the first place, to check on the BB.
I can't get a crankpulling tool on here as far as I can see, because the self-extracting bolt and washer blocks access. And I can't see any way to get at it from the other side.
Any other ideas? Am I overlooking something?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
that allen bolt comes completely out doesnt it? remove the bolt and washer completely, and remove it with a standard crank puller. depending on the puller, you might need to stuff something inside the spindle. i think i had to use a 8mm deep socket on my old xt crank, but the interface and bb should be identical.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts