Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to be honest... I came from an IH 7.7. Very nice bike. I am currently strongly leaning towards a Bottlerocket as my replacement. The Blindside was my first choice... but will not be do able.

These are my decisions. I want to keep my Totem Coil. How does the Totem ride with this particular bike. Seeing that there is a 40mm difference in Frt to RR travel does that throw off the riding characteristics? Also, the bike was built around a 540 axle to crown. The Totem has a 565 a2c. I would like a Lyric Coil or Fox Van36 as a replacement... but they only come with a 1.125 steertube (partly because I just got a 1.5Hozelfeller stem for it). I also love the Maxle to any other system out there.

Another dilemma is that I don't want to loose money in doing this change around. My budget says that the BR and Van36R is the best option.

What should I do?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sell or trade the Totem for a Van36r, you can get a stem for cheap and a reducer for under a hundy.
Otherwise keep the totem, try it out, if you like it great. I've seen many BR's w/ Totems or 66's on them. My buddy rides one w/ 66, w/ the extra travel he's able to keep it really plush- like 3 inches of sag. Rides real well and it's bomb-proof. The difference in geometry is the only real issue and really it's up to you weather or not you can live w/ it.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
I am running a Domain at 180mm on my Bottlerocket. It is kind of slack but I really like it.

Isn't it quite easy to lower the Totem coil?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Both the Lyric and 36 are avaliable with a 1.5 steerer.

The Van RC2 is worth the money over the R. Slap the Totem on there for a month if you have to, and save up the extra $80.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys I just fixed my own problems.... what I really wanted was a Lyric 1.5. I got that at a real steal... just today. And I will be selling my Totem for $600shipped. Interested contact me.

I think I was looking for balance. Not chopped out. And this will bring the weight down to a very manageable weight. I think that I am looking at a bike that will be in the 37lb range. When I get the frame I will build and post pics!!!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hardtails Are Better said:
Sweet. I've got a 36 on mine, and that seems to be dialed geo wise. The Lyric will be awesome.

What's the rest of the build going to look like?
Looking to build it pretty light... using a budget. It will be as follows.

Raw BR Med
Lyrik 2step
DHX air (still in question...Coil or Air??)
XO rear Der
X9 shifter
Hayes MAG with 8" frt and 6" rear
E13 STS
E13 36T ring
DT HugiFR frt hub w/ Sun Singletrack
Bontrager KingEarl w/ Sun MTX
Kenda Nevagal 2.5 Wire.
Hozefeller Stem 40X0degree
Titec .75" riser bar

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Couple o' random thoughts:

1. I had a DHX on mine, and replaced it with a Roco TST. Long story short, the Roco is significantly better. Run a search under my username for the particulars.

2. I'd be inclined to get an X.0 shifter and X.9 rear derailleur. The RD is probably going to get ripped off at some point, and the X.9 shifters develop some slop after a while. Or just get X.9 and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About your #2... I've been on this XO for two seasons. No probs at all. I want to run it into the ground.

Wyrm

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The frame count down is on!!!!! I put it on order and it has shipped. Depending on shipping it will be in either on Friday or Monday. I can't wait.

The look is: Very RAW!!! I have the Lyric(no longer 2step..just air) in the raw or gray. XT M770 in silver. Frame in raw. Stainless spokes. Everything else will be black.

I will also be getting stainless cables... from goodridge. With Jag cables in braided ti. And I will be getting a Ti spring as soon as I can find one for cheap.

Decision: Decal or non? As much as I like Tranny... I really like the raw industrial look. Black or Clear bash? Last decision is to go 6" or 7" on the rear rotor. Any suggestions?

·
vellofahrär
34 Posts
good choice :thumb:
when u have finished your bike lay the decals on the frame and choose what u like (you have the big transition dec, the little br, the dec for the headtube, the goth-style transition bike co. and the chainsaw...)! im very exited to see your lady
first i thought mine would look better without but choose the red ones and they look great!
7" rotor.
"T" rocks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts