Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have an element 70, 2008. When I was removing the bolts that attach the rp23 to the frame the first 5mm allen bolt, came out fine with it´s fastener, but the lower one, the one that´s connected to the link is SUPER STUCK, I tried everything, from hard tapping (wutg a rubber malled and a wooden stick) to putting it (with all the possible care) into a press to take the allen fastener out but nothing happends!. The allen bolt came out easy but the allen fastener is just stuck in there. Also, it´s obvius that trying to make it rotate I damaged the threads of the head...so now, it´s the fastener there and NO WAY to remove it...

I´m letting it soak this night with penetrating oil and will try some taps with a rubber mallet tomorrow...:( Please, somebody with a similar experience could help? I know that the last solution will be to drill a hole into the fastener and insert a bolt extractor but I want to avoid that...

thanks guys!

bye

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks rockyuphill for taking the time with the picture and sorry my lack of information. The fastener I´m talking is the one colored in red from the right, it´s part from the shox assembly, not a pivot of the frame. It´s a 5mm allen bolt with a fastener. It is not loose in the reducer, the one from the upper part of the shox was loose, no problem getting it out but this one is STUCK...just no move at all. Is this a bad sympton for the shox durability? Or just the suspension not being tottally used?

thanks!

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
I'd say more about some dirt or aluminum corrosion in the aluminium reducer, as there should be no galvanic corrosion between the chromed sleeve bolt and the alloy reducer. You should be able to use a long 6mm bolt threaded into the sleeve as a drift to tap it out. Just use a bolt that is expendable. You might need to order new reducers as well, but they're relatively cheap. I prefer the BETD stainless steel reducers.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bolt that I could use must me 5mm, because that`s the one that get in there. Element 2008. Also, I agree with you with the corrosion at the bushing-bolt interface. Anyways once I was there I removed all the linkage system to check the bearings life and ended up removing one part of the linkage from the allen bolt fastener but there`s the other part (the one that`s stuck). I will take it today to the LBS and let them do it. I do not want to damage that part of the linkage or something else.

One question rocky, could I re use that fastener if I extracted it? It has the head stripped, but as I see it, there`s not much need for it to be perfect. I mean, the torque is applied from the thread at the other side, this just needs to not rotate.

What do you think ?

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
The allen bolt socket might be 5mm but the threaded portion diameter is 6mm.

As long as you can keep it from turning enough to torque it to 8-9Nm (100 in-lbs) and get some Loctite on the thread, the socket of the sleeve bolt can be damaged. You might want to make sure any sharp burrs are filed off the edges of the socket or they will find a way to slash your hand or leg while you're cleaning the bike or crashing.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I`m afraid of damaging the linkage from the tappin motion. I don`t know, it looks robust and very well made (hard), will it be better to use a vice and press the fastener and the other side against rubber to keep things "unscratched"?

thanks bro!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.