Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I would really appreciate some insights on this. I know this debate has been beaten to death over and over but looking for some personal advice from people who have been in my position. I've owned multiple 27.5 bikes in the past. Loved them. So the only deciding factor between the 2 bikes is wheel size.

From my understanding 27.5 more agility, more responsive..faster off the peddle. 29er good for running over stuff, rollover. Both I've heard are fun and great wheel sizes...no debate there. But I've been considering converting to a 29er for the first time. My only fear is I will lose some agility, and I do love to throw my bike around a bit.

Unfortunately the only test rides available to me is around my LBS parking lot. I couldn't tell the difference really. Some things about me...6'3 180ish pounds. Trails around my area are mainly single track but some nice downhill stuff too. Lots of rocks, roots.

Are there any riders around my height (or even not) who converted to a 29er and regretted it? I don't really want to lose that feeling of flicking around turns and that general feeling of being in control. But I would like the speed the 29ers carry through the tough stuff.

Again I know its been beaten to death by now...but I'd appreciate any feedback from riders around my size that have switched or regretted switching and missed the 27.5. Thanks again!

·
jcd's best friend
3,412 Posts
I have ridden both wheels on dirt and I didn't feel a night and day difference between them in regards to handling. I can ride both wheel sizes the same and I never really saw a difference in my personal times on Strava. On a 29er, I usually take just a slightly wider line when I hit tight corners but it felt no different from riding my 27.5" bike. My 2 bikes are the Transition Sentinel and Scout.

It really comes down to tire selection and what you use for the environment you ride. If anything, you should see if there are any bike rentals in your area. You can grab a 29er and take her out on a spin at your local trails so you aren't limited to just parking lot testing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks for the reply. And yeah as you said, even though it was in the parking lot I really couldn't tell I was on a 29er or 27.5. Maybe because I'm a tall person. Maybe it will be more noticeable on the trails. I'll see if there are some rentals around here. But not sure how often they are and I'm looking to get back in riding within the next week. So time is limited. I'm impatient with wanting to get to riding again.

·
jcd's best friend
3,412 Posts
Alright thanks for the reply. And yeah as you said, even though it was in the parking lot I really couldn't tell I was on a 29er or 27.5. Maybe because I'm a tall person. Maybe it will be more noticeable on the trails. I'll see if there are some rentals around here. But not sure how often they are and I'm looking to get back in riding within the next week. So time is limited. I'm impatient with wanting to get to riding again.
Just rent any bike that's a 29er or 27.5 and see what you think. Just note that if you do rent a full suspension bike, you might feel spoiled ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just rent any bike that's a 29er or 27.5 and see what you think. Just note that if you do rent a full suspension bike, you might feel spoiled ;)
ha I'm sure. I plan on saving the full suspension for a decent enduro bike later. For trips to the mountains with some nice downhill stuff. Here in the triad I think I'll enjoy my hard tail.

·
jcd's best friend
3,412 Posts
ha I'm sure. I plan on saving the full suspension for a decent enduro bike later. For trips to the mountains with some nice downhill stuff. Here in the triad I think I'll enjoy my hard tail.
I see you are in NC. What part? My friend Nigel (here on the forum) is also from NC. I also grew up in NC but on the coast. Maybe you can link up with him for some rides if you are in his area.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My first bike was a Pitch. I was originally torn between that and the Rockhopper ad well. If you are in the triad, I’m guessing you may be going to Paul’s. The pitch felt better for me but I’m 5’7 on a good day. The Rockhopper for some reason felt big and uncomfortable. I kept that 2018 pitch until this past May. I sold it and just picked up a Kona Honzo from Mock Orange Bikes in Winston. Great shop by the way.

After my first year of riding and reading on here, I determined the air shock and dropper post would be worth the additional money and it really was. @Battery was great with helping me weigh out my options and giving advice on drivetrain which led me to the Kona. It is a 29’r and it doesn’t feel big at all. Rides really good and turns are great. I’m hoping to hit my trail on it this weekend or next to give it a real test but I’m happy so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
OP, do you have a price range you are trying to stay in budget wise? Trust me and spend the extra now to get a 1x drivetrain and air shock. It will save you down the road later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OP, do you have a price range you are trying to stay in budget wise? Trust me and spend the extra now to get a 1x drivetrain and air shock. It will save you down the road later.

Rockhopper and pitch is in my current budget. Can upgrade to a 1x later if I desire. Really not looking to go all out on this bike because I'll be picking up an enduro later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first bike was a Pitch. I was originally torn between that and the Rockhopper ad well. If you are in the triad, I'm guessing you may be going to Paul's. The pitch felt better for me but I'm 5'7 on a good day. The Rockhopper for some reason felt big and uncomfortable. I kept that 2018 pitch until this past May. I sold it and just picked up a Kona Honzo from Mock Orange Bikes in Winston. Great shop by the way.

After my first year of riding and reading on here, I determined the air shock and dropper post would be worth the additional money and it really was. @Battery was great with helping me weigh out my options and giving advice on drivetrain which led me to the Kona. It is a 29'r and it doesn't feel big at all. Rides really good and turns are great. I'm hoping to hit my trail on it this weekend or next to give it a real test but I'm happy so far.

Yes I went to Pauls...I've been to Mock Orange bikes too but not recently. What part of the triad are you in? I live in Lexington currently. I might swing through Mocks just to see what they have up there too then before making a final. I guess the Kona geo might have fit you better as a 29er.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I’m in Winston. The geo from the Kona felt a lot better for me over the Pitch and I was really happy with the pitch until I tried the Kona. Also the Diamondback Sync’r May be an option if you are in the 1000$ range of the Pitch Expert and Rockhopper

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so a little update. I decided to up the budget a tiny bit. And after searching into some more bikes, came across the 2019 Vitus Sentier 29 and the 2019 Nukeproof 290 sport. Both at the 1000 price point and seem to be more of what I'm looking for with the slacker head tube and more aggressive geo. Both seem to be great bikes for the money.

Trying to decided between the 2, leaning more towards the Vitus. Unfortunately the Vitus is out of stock in the XL. Not sure how long it will take to get back in.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not familiar with those bikes myself but I’ve seen others in here mention them. Are you finding them locally or online? It does help to buy from a store locally if you want parts easy and some may offer lifetime tuneups

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not familiar with those bikes myself but I've seen others in here mention them. Are you finding them locally or online? It does help to buy from a store locally if you want parts easy and some may offer lifetime tuneups

The only place available to buy these are chainreactioncycles and wiggles online. Ships from UK. As for parts, I don't think there should be an issue with finding parts locally as they still use the same specs as other bikes. Shimano ect...just better deals on these bikes I guess since they use an online retailer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.