Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you actually find a bike you've been looking for is for sale used, it's last year's model, awesome shape, and priced what you believe as stupidly low.

But it's still outside your budget and don't have anything to liquidate.

Don't you hate that?

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Put it on a credit card or do eBay credit with six months no interest. Then pay it off within that six months. It makes it easier for me to buy something big that I don't want to drop a bunch of cash on at once. Just make sure to pay it off within the time allowed...or else the interest is going to ream you.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happily, or sadly, I have no credit cards. I will keep that in mind for the eBay idea, but won't work in this instance ;-)

You make me realize that I need to be thinking more outside the box.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I've only sold bikes/bike parts & cars on Craigslist.

Yes you have to weed out the idiots, but other than that, instant cash. No shipping stuff.

·
Cycologist
10,063 Posts
Figure out what you have that you can sell to raise the funds.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
Sell a kidney.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All good advice, especially the kidney, because I got two....right?
I looked at my bank and I think I can get a secured loan and pay it off in 12 months or less. I can't see getting a loan and paying interest for things like this, but in the end it would only cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $24 in interest.

·
inebriate savant
207 Posts
All good advice, especially the kidney, because I got two....right?
I looked at my bank and I think I can get a secured loan and pay it off in 12 months or less. I can't see getting a loan and paying interest for things like this, but in the end it would only cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $24 in interest.
$24 is like 2 6-packs of good IPA.

Have one less beer a month. Buy the bike.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
How does a person in 2019 get by without a credit card? I have three that I use for the different rewards programs they offer. I pay each of them off each month and never pay a dime in interest but get cash back and discounted air fare in return.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I'm in the same boat, there's a road bike that was previously owned by the mechanic of a current world champion. They're selling it dirt cheap for what it is, unfortunately I don't think they'll accept credit so I might have to sell a few mountain bikes(I know, blasphemy) to fund this road bike.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Actually I find it's pretty easy to get by without one.
Not if you want to buy the occasional high-dollar item like a bicycle.

How does one establish credit to get a loan for anything without ever having a CC? It's best to buy things that you can afford outright, but with some things that's just not possible. Low-interest loans are a great way to find home improvements, cars, houses, etc. If you can't afford anything for which you can't pay straight-up cash, that's why you need a credit card to establish credit to get make expensive but normal adult purchases. I am not suggesting you rack up a massive pile of debt, but making calculated purchases that you can realistically pay off to establish a line of credit is just part of adulting in the modern era.

If you refuse to participate in this simple system like everyone else, don't complain that the economy does not cater to Luddites. This is coming from. Dave Ramsey student.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.