·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well see the thing is the giant im sure i can find in a local bike store but the windsor i can only order online...
are the components better enough over the revel to take the risk of ordering online?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Apologies, I was not aware that the Windsor was a mail order bike.

In which case I would go for the Giant, as that will provide a local point of contact for servicing etc.

I might be a little archaic when it comes to buying my bicycles, but I prefer to get them through my LBS. The support and service is more than worth it.

As for the components - they seem to be similar....

·
Registered
581 Posts
I am a Bikesdirect fan, BUT its not for everyone. Since you sound like a true noob you will probably be better served with the Giant. Unless you can read a geometry chart then fitment is tough with mail order. And yes, the Windsor will have better components but would you know how to tune the shifting and brakes, adjust the headset? The Giant is a very nice entry level MTB. The components are VERY entry level but should serve you just fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currently do not know how to adjust and tune those things but i could very easily learn if i did go that route. This bike will be used 90% on trails ranging for mild to extreme. I need the best bike i can get for my money now because i wont have the money to upgrade components any time soon. i'm not looking for a bike to ride for a while till i can afford a really nice bike. I want a bike that i can build the components over the years. so also the bike with the better frame is also important to me. if one bike as better components but a crappy frame i would prefer then one with worse components but a better frame. is this a good mindset or should i go another direction?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
If I am following your post, then you need to rethink.

Go with the better frame and worse components. When they break, replace/upgrade. The frame is the component that is most going to affect the ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha yeah i my bad i just reread my post and i did word it wrong... i want the bike with the best frame whether or not the components are not as good as the other.
so my next question is which frame is better?
i'm kinda leaning toward the Giant because i know they put out good bikes and i've read good reviews about the entire Revel line... but im still not educated enough in this field to make a decision on my own judgement.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I know nothing of the Windsor marque, so cannot help there.

What I can say is that of the Giant hardtails I have ridden, there was nothing to complain about. They were all outstanding.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah i'm liking the Giant more and more! any other thoughts would be awesome!
I do know that my 1st (and immediate) purchase will be clipless pedals... and ideas of good (and "cheap") ones??
but any advice will be awesome!
thanks!

·
Knowledge over Swag
121 Posts
You should be able to get a 2011 Revel 2 for closer to $300, and I'm certain there are several still out there. See if you can get the Revel 1 for closer to $400 for a 2011. I just got a 2011 Revel 2 Friday for $300, but I got an in at my LBS.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that info ej63090!
Where/how would you suggest i go about looking for that? call the LBS's in my area? I would LOVE to get a Revel 1 but as of right now its out of my price range but if i could get one for $400 that would be fantastic!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.