Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Anybody ever ride one of these? Looks like leaf springs for a mountain bike.

https://structure.bike/
Well as a matter of fact, Dave Smith, formerly of ShuttleSmith in Aptos borrowed one (of 2 in existence?) from Structure and won the 50-99 Cat2 Dual Slalom and 60+ Open Enduro on it. He also got second in his Cat2 DH but i cant tell if it's the same bike from Finisherpix.com. Dude is a legend and said the bike was killer. He donated one of his medals to the company. What a guy!

Edit - it was all-black unlike the structure site.

Props to the SOC for having complete race result online and easy to work with ON SUNDAY?! Technology finally triumphs.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
I wouldn't go near one, personally, but the way the fork extends under compression was interesting to see in action. Also, the identical DVO shocks.
Yeah. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Build it, that is.

As lot of social media fodder though.

That Trust suspension fork too. Haven't tried it and am skeptical of the performance/$value proposition like most.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,681 Posts
Yeah. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Build it, that is.

As lot of social media fodder though.

That Trust suspension fork too. Haven't tried it and am skeptical of the performance/$value proposition like most.
Structure has a legitimate design and if you are going to use a linkage fork building into the frame is a far more effective way to do it. I wish I had taken him up on the offer to ride it. parking lot bounce seemed very smooth.

Trust on the other hand was some serious work to do.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi all, Structure Cycleworks here.

Yes, Dave rode the same bike in both the slalom and downhill. He won gold in the slalom and silver in the downhill. Perhaps just as significantly, Dave shaved 7 seconds off of his previous best-ever slalom time (Strava-verified) and beat a good friend who has edged him in the slalom for 15 years.

On a separate bike, Ryan Sullivan won bronze in the Cat 1 pro-am downhill. Both of the guys had about an hour on the bike before they won.

To correct the misimpression that there are only two Structure bikes, we have many prototypes (some destroyed in strain testing, which verifies that our linkage system is 25% stiffer laterally than current enduro telescoping forks). We have five bikes currently, and seven more early production bikes on the way that will serve as demos and press bikes before the full production run ships.

While we understand that our bike appears strange to some, we hope people will take seriously the fact that two riders who don't know each other swapped their bikes for Structure bikes, tested for about an hour each, and both went on to win podiums.

It's hard to read that these results are just "social fodder".

We've spent six years developing and four years testing with some of the best engineers, design houses, and one of the best factories in the industry collaborating to make this bike a reality.

We offer a lifetime warranty on frame and bearings and have gone to huge lengths to make those bearings last -- with internal sleeves connecting the bearing seats, x-ring seals on the bearing caps, wide bearing spacing on 30mm bearings with 17mm colleted axles, and 250-hour replacement intervals. You'll never have to replace bushings or seals on our fork, the bearings can all be driven out from the opposite side of the frame and replaced in a little over an hour and are industry-standard sizes found at bike shops everywhere, DVOs are easy to tune and service, and you can actually keep a spare DVO in your race kit and swap to either front or rear.

Two riders, two bikes, three races entered, three podiums. We humbly submit that this is not a fluke, and we hope you'll come ride with us to see what the bike is all about.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, I will be very interested to try one out. When and where in NorCal do you anticipate demoing these next? When do you think they'll be shipping for sale?
We will have a demo fleet on a road tour in little over a month and will be in NorCal. If you have a favorite dealer in the area near you, let us know too and we'll see about getting a couple demos into their stock.

If all else fails, we will certainly be at Whistler Crankworx with demos, so come up if you can!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
We will have a demo fleet on a road tour in little over a month and will be in NorCal. If you have a favorite dealer in the area near you, let us know too and we'll see about getting a couple demos into their stock.

If all else fails, we will certainly be at Whistler Crankworx with demos, so come up if you can!

I like the data. Thank you for chiming in. Dave is a good friend so I'll talk to him.

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
I wouldn't go near one, personally, but the way the fork (Edit - front axle - not fork - duh) extends under compression was interesting to see in action. Also, the identical DVO shocks.
That's the third time I read/listen that the contraption* extend under compression, which made me extremely sceptical of it's performance, but the animation on the Structure site the contraption doesn't appear to extend. Am I interpreting the animation wrong?

I don't think the bike is bad aesthetically, I actually like the design, but that front extension is going to impale someone.

*: not using the term contraption with prejudice.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
That's the third time I read/listen that the contraption* extend under compression, which made me extremely sceptical of it's performance, but the animation on the Structure site the contraption doesn't appear to extend. Am I interpreting the animation wrong?

I don't think the bike is bad aesthetically, I actually like the design, but that front extension is going to impale someone.

*: not using the term contraption with prejudice.
I agree that the site animation doesn't back up my assertion. But the rider standing over it before our slalom race said 'watch this' and when he compressed the fork the front axle appeared to be pushed forward, the fork leg's rake slackened, elongating the wheelbase....then he beat me. The Structure rep would be able to explain this illusion (or mirage - it was the 4th long day in the sun for me).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Our wheelbase doesn't actually extend when the linkage is compressed. The front axle comes up more vertically at first than on a telescoping fork, and the wheelbase doesn't change much at all during the first half of suspension travel, but it never elongates.

Because it rotates on bearings with almost no friction, and because getting DVO Topaz shocks moving through the initial portion of travel is so easy, we can afford a slightly more vertical axle path and still have better bump compliance than telescoping forks while resisting dive.

Parking lot tests and website videos don't cut it, so we hope you get a chance to ride a serious trail on the SCW 1 soon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When you ride it almost every day and case the occasional stump, you quickly learn how strong thickly laid up carbon can be, and the bars and front wheel do a great job of keeping the steering linkage from ever hitting anything or anyone. Almost four years of testing, and the bike has never hurt anyone (knock on wood).

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,681 Posts
I'm In the east bay and looking forward to when you guys are doing demos. I will be there. I feel that building the bike as a full system front and rear will be much better overall. It's going to take years for this to mature enough to be competitive against conventional forks. The level of development/money put into conventional forks makes them the best that they can be.

The same thing was true for electric cars. It took decades for them to come to the forefront and mature enough to be competitive. I hope Stucture sells enough bikes and continues to develop the platform. 10 years from now this might be like 29ers wheels.
The majority of the industry is offering 29ers, even DH, which people said would never happen.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.