Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
zeeth2800 said:
Hey Every1 What Is The Stongest Dh Rim U Have Ridden???
Thanks
i have tried mag30, azonic outlaw, and wtb DH, mag 30 is heavy as hell but nice

im loving my WTB

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Every1 What Is The Stongest Dh Rim U Have Ridden???
Thanks

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
doublewides......but you don't need heavy duty rims for your size,......just get a great rim build

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
shiggy said:
I have not ridden it but my money would be on the Surly Large Marge DH

https://www.surlybikes.com/parts.html
actually the Surly's rims are not that strong for a massive as they are, they are intented for snow riding when tyre "Flotation" is paramount and not rock gardens, so they are not that burly, also they will not fit many frames and forks, they also have another problem, do to all the pretty holes, you need to use half a roll of Velox tape making them even heavier..

i do need to acess i find them kind of sexy

here is the frame that Surly makes to be use with the rims

the new style of "Spagetti forks"

Notice the 135mm single speed Rear hub use for the front wheel

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The "DH" version of the Large Marge does not have the cutouts. They will also fit in many standard frames (they work in a Surly 1x1) and forks with 2.5-3.0 tires. If the tires will fit, the rims will fit. If you mount the 26x3.7 Endomorph tires then you do need a Pugsley frame. I am well aware of the Pugsley and what it is. It also uses a different version of the LM rim with outset spoke holes to reduce the dish.

I will bet you the LM rims are plenty strong. You will have a hard time knocking a 1200g, 65mm wide rim out of true. Mass can equal strength! May not be as durable as some other DH rims as far as denting.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I got WTB's and they're tough as hell. They don't weigh as much as the bigger boys too. If you're rolling WTB's, its how we do things. Those rims are BASICALLY bombproof.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
shiggy said:
The "DH" version of the Large Marge does not have the cutouts. They will also fit in many standard frames (they work in a Surly 1x1) and forks with 2.5-3.0 tires. If the tires will fit, the rims will fit. If you mount the 26x3.7 Endomorph tires then you do need a Pugsley frame. I am well aware of the Pugsley and what it is. It also uses a different version of the LM rim with outset spoke holes to reduce the dish.

I will bet you the LM rims are plenty strong. You will have a hard time knocking a 1200g, 65mm wide rim out of true. Mass can equal strength! May not be as durable as some other DH rims as far as denting.
Wow Cool...

that I did not know, thanks for the information..

·
eminence front
367 Posts
haha i wondered the same thing, but look at the post time, the creator posted 2 min after themarzvolta55.

Odd...

G

·
xray said:
haha i wondered the same thing, but look at the post time, the creator posted 2 min after themarzvolta55.

Odd...
malfunction...
and in marsvoltas thread list, this thread is in it...
:confused:

·
Bum Buzzer
1,991 Posts
patineto said:

Notice the 135mm single speed Rear hub use for the front wheel
So if you have a mech with the rear, you swap em!!

& Strongest rims : Arrow DHX, Atom Trail Pimp, Mag 30/Doubletrack

all in the same league.

Pimps never lose true or round, but if you run low PSI, you WILL fold sidewalls, although its easy enough to fix, I love em - but they are kinf of the heavy hill at 950+g

Mag 30/DT - Awesome super rims, but really hard to mount/unmount tires and not light either at 850+ ; the dif between the 2 is one is pinned & welded, and the other is pinned only -- NO IT DOESNT MAKE A DIF, AND EVEN IF THE SEAM SEPARATES A LITTLE, IT STILL DOESNT MATTER! WELDING IS A LEFTOVER HABIT FROM WHEN WE USED RIM BRAKES AND DOERS **NOT** MAKE THE WHEEL STRONGER. That and vain people like it.

Arrows - no comments.. superb.

G

·
Huck Banzai said:
Mag 30/DT - Awesome super rims, but really hard to mount/unmount tires and not light either at 850+ ; the dif between the 2 is one is pinned & welded, and the other is pinned only -- NO IT DOESNT MAKE A DIF, AND EVEN IF THE SEAM SEPARATES A LITTLE, IT STILL DOESNT MATTER! WELDING IS A LEFTOVER HABIT FROM WHEN WE USED RIM BRAKES AND DOERS **NOT** MAKE THE WHEEL STRONGER. That and vain people like it.
I have a double track, and a mag30, both welded :confused:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts