Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running an e.13 supercharger in place of the big ring on my Kona HT for the past 6 months or so. I "use" it quite a bit, mostly when I get perched up on big logs that I'm trying to climb over. It's rare that it gets bashed on rock, and It never gets hit at high speed, always during slower speed techy riding. It's performed fine, I actually really like the way it glides across obstacles.

But when I was cleaning and inspecting my bike the other day I noticed that the BG was cracked. It's cracked in a really odd way... the crack starts from the inside part of the bashring, not the outside. In fact, the crack doesn't even extend to the outer part of the ring (the part that makes contact with objects). The crack is not anywhere near a bolt-hole, either. When I installed the BG a complete drivetrain clean was done and I switched to a wax-based chain lube because the guys at e.13 said that traditional lubes can damage the composite. A torque wrench was used to tighten the bolts, I know they weren't over-tightened. I'm really at a loss as to how this happened (other than the easy explanation - that I'm a lard ass :p ).

I was planning on running a e.13 DRS on the RFX, but after this little "failure" the unused DRS that I got from Larry is going back and I'm gonna run something else. Probably a Blackspire Stinger, with a separate bashguard. I'm looking at the MRP Basher, or maybe the Blackspire "Grind God" (it's got a lifetime warranty...but the graphics kind of suck). Or maybe I should just get the Saint BG, after all it'll be going on my Saint triple crankset. Any suggestions are welcome.

Here are the pics of the Supercharger. One's got the crack circled; it doesn't extend beyond the circled area. The other is a close-up. The crack does extend all the way through to the other side of the BG. Any chance e.thirteen will warranty this? I'm gonnna call next week to see.

Attachments

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Looks like you nailed it pretty good on something.

e.13 is pretty good about standing behind their stuff, they may even replace it for you.

I've been running an srs in my dh bike for 3 years and never had a problem.....they're good product.

Those blackspires are burly too....I've got one on another bike and it's thick enough, it can take a beating.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
Looks to me like its 1 of 2 things.

1. Poor installation (possible)
2. You used mineral spirits based chain lube on your chain (ie. T9 Boeshield / prolink progold, or similar mineral based lube).

If its #2, you can't use those on polycarbonate bash guards and they will and do crack. Mineral spirits basically chemically brinnel them.

Why does it do that you ask.. well it gets into the porous plastics and effictively dies it out so once you hit a log, boom, no flex, and you get a cracked bash ring.

contact e13 if you want to hear the same thing, Jonas will tell you.

The solution if it is #2 is to either not use such mineral based lubes, or get a metal ring.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtb_biker said:
Looks to me like its 1 of 2 things.

1. Poor installation (possible)
2. You used mineral spirits based chain lube on your chain (ie. T9 Boeshield / prolink progold, or similar mineral based lube).
Check it:
PCinSC in the original post said:
When I installed the BG a complete drivetrain clean was done and I switched to a wax-based chain lube because the guys at e.13 said that traditional lubes can damage the composite. A torque wrench was used to tighten the bolts, I know they weren't over-tightened.
That bashguard never saw an unapproved lube. The lube I'm using (White Lightning) which was recommended by e.13. Whether some "grease" from my front derailleur (or someplace else) got on the BG somehow, I don't know. Doesn't seem likely, though.

As far as it being installed incorrectly, I guess it's possible. The torque settings were dead-on during initial installation. That crack isn't near a bolt hole...it would seem that if the bolts were overtorques a crack or cracks would've developed around the bolt holes.

I don't know, obviously something happened that wasn't right.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
PCinSC said:
Check it:

That bashguard never saw an unapproved lube. The lube I'm using (White Lightning) which was recommended by e.13. Whether some "grease" from my front derailleur (or someplace else) got on the BG somehow, I don't know. Doesn't seem likely, though.

As far as it being installed incorrectly, I guess it's possible. The torque settings were dead-on during initial installation. That crack isn't near a bolt hole...it would seem that if the bolts were overtorques a crack or cracks would've developed around the bolt holes.

I don't know, obviously something happened that wasn't right.
so noted. Also what did you use to clean your drivetrain with? There are mineral based cleaners too don't forget. I'm not sure 100% if it only takes one use of such mineral spirts to damage the bash guide or not but if it does, it doesn't matter if you stopped using them. I'm just trying to cover all the bases here for ya as I don't think i've ever really seen that happen with an e13. and trust me people hit stuff a lot harder.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SkullCrack said:
You might want to skip the Saint BG. It's not very beefy. Here's a shot from the back of mine. If you did that to an e.thirteen, a Saint would be toast in no time.
I was thinking that it didn't look that beefy. Which is odd considering the crankset is kind of over-built overall. Plus the Saint is only $10 aftermarket...that's less than one-third the price of most of the other AL bashguards. The MRP Basher is 5mm thick and the Blackspire I mentioned is 1/2". Either of those should do the trick. Thanks for the show and tell.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mtb_biker said:
so noted. Also what did you use to clean your drivetrain with? There are mineral based cleaners too don't forget. I'm not sure 100% if it only takes one use of such mineral spirts to damage the bash guide or not but if it does, it doesn't matter if you stopped using them. I'm just trying to cover all the bases here for ya as I don't think i've ever really seen that happen with an e13. and trust me people hit stuff a lot harder.
That's a good point. I did an initial drivetrain clean (chain, chainrings, etc.) with a degreaser. I scrubbed the cassette while on the bike with a simple green based cleaner. After a couple of days I brought the bike into the LBS because I couldn't quite get the FD set up correctly, and while it was in I had them do another drivetrain clean, in case mine wasn't good enough.

I had purchased the BG from them...although they didn't inform me that I needed to change lubes. I learned that from these forums (before the BG was installed), and confirmed it by calling e.13. When I brought the bike in, I told them about the potential problem the mineral lube could cause and that I wanted to make sure that it was clear of the old lube, even though I had already cleaned the applicable parts.

With all that, it's possible that some old lube remained, and even if it wasn't on there for long I guess it still couldn've caused a problem. That's some damn sensitive material if that's the case.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mtb_biker said:
i'd give the e13 one another go. I'd be willing to bet they'd warranty it for you. If they won't i'll give you one of mine (unused, but clear) if you pay for shipping.
Wow, that's a generous offer. I'm gonna see what e.13 has to say, maybe they'll hook me up. I'll post when I hear back from them.

·
Bodhisattva
10,888 Posts
Interesting info on the mineral spiritis based lube. I didn't know that.

Maybe I should take a closer look at my Gamut polycarb ring. I've had it for a year and have used prolink exclusively during that time. I think I'd sooner go to a different bash than go to a wax based lube. I've had relatively poor success with them in the past as they always seemed to dry up after an hour or two. Is there anything better than Pedro's Icewax these days?

Does the mineral spirits thing also apply to chainguides like the Stinger?

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Wow, this mineral lube issue is new to me. Which ones are mineral based?
I'm thinking from your description you've been quite careful. Perhaps you just got a defective one. I'd request a replacement from E-13.

I've been using Pedro's Syn lube exclusively since I got my Super Charger 2+ ago. I cut mine down before I mounted it (Close to your size). I Beat the bageebies out of it on a regular basis on lots of rocks and logs. I've hit many things at a good speed, and I'm neither a lightweight nor a finesse freak. My limited experience is this thing is darned near unbreakable... I think you just got a bum ring.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
I have been more impressed with the resistance of the FSA bashguards than with the eThirteen on my 7point7. The only reason I still use it is because it's big enough to give my DRS a little more protection. The biggest FSA ring is a 36-38t. I think my eThirteen is more like a 40t.

JMH

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Interesting info on the mineral spiritis based lube. I didn't know that.

Maybe I should take a closer look at my Gamut polycarb ring. I've had it for a year and have used prolink exclusively during that time. I think I'd sooner go to a different bash than go to a wax based lube. I've had relatively poor success with them in the past as they always seemed to dry up after an hour or two. Is there anything better than Pedro's Icewax these days?

Does the mineral spirits thing also apply to chainguides like the Stinger?
I knew that certain types of lube were damaging to the roller on the e.Thirteen, I wasn't aware that applied to the BG as well.

I've been using Dumonde Tech lube, which I believe is also recommended by e.Thirteen. Works great, at least out here in mostly dry SoCal. I've never had much luck with White Lightning. It seems all it takes to wash it off is a heavy fog.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
This all is good to know. I too had no idea that some lubes were not kosher with the polycrab rings, but it does make sense I suppose.

Does anyone have a list of approved/recommended lubes from e.13? I'm a recent convert to Rock n Roll Ultimate. I used White Lightening for years, and it does work fine, but sheesh, it just doesn't last for squat... I swore off wax-based lubes.

Cheers, Chris

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
Interesting stuff....

I have never had a problem with Race Face thick alloy BG's. I don't see how you could break one of those. However, they are 132g (34T) and run about $40.

I have broken a Truvativ PC bashguard, that is the only guard that has ever failed me.

I've used the Saint before as well, it is inexpensive but finding the right size washers for it can be a pain in the arse if your aren't using Saint cranks.

Right now I'm using a lightweight BBG Bashguard. It def won't withstand major hits, but it does protect the chainrings and it was only $12 shipped. It only weighs 2 oz., it is basically like a SS chain guard, thin CNC'd alloy. You can find em on eBay, I have already bought 2. Great quality for such an inexpensive item, and you can find em in black, green, or blue/red spatter.

Bottom line: Strong, light, or inexpensive, pick two qualities.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.