Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Underskilled
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I presumed this would have been a frequently asked question, however it doesn't come up on search.

I want a strong hard wearing chain. Was a BIG fan of KMC on 9 speed, however on 11 speed the gold snapped easily.

I went to xtr which seems good, wears fast though.

I need a new chain.

Is the kmc ebike chain good, or is xtr still the best?

Anything else I should consider?

·
Bikes in jeans
2,372 Posts
I use KMC for everything at this point. Did the quicklink on your KMC break or the chain itself? They also have models labeled as SL which shave a few grams off likely at the cost of some durability, not sure if that is what you were dealing with. I can't comment on the ebike ones, I would imagine they are stronger if they're selling them for that purpose, but just a guess.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,623 Posts
chains don't really "just snap" though. Sure, I've broken chains over the years. But every time, it can be traced back to something I did wrong. A bad shift. Riding an excessively worn chain. Not lubricating it enough so it starts to rust. Something like that.

I honestly haven't broken a chain in almost 20yrs.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,216 Posts
chains don't really "just snap" though. Sure, I've broken chains over the years. But every time, it can be traced back to something I did wrong. A bad shift. Riding an excessively worn chain. Not lubricating it enough so it starts to rust. Something like that.

I honestly haven't broken a chain in almost 20yrs.
Same here, save for maybe a tangled chain. Back when I started getting serious, shimano chains were terrible because the links would slide off the pins occasionally, broke many a chain this way. SRAM (Sachs) was better at the time, but not by much. Then shimano introduced their "mushroom pin" XTR chain and it eventually worked it's way down through all the levels. This is around 20 years ago now. Since then, I've always bought these chains and had no issues with links sliding off/broken chains. SRAM charged a premium for the same technology, calling it "crosstep", not sure if that's changed, but this has been throughout shimano's line for years. I can almost always find a good deal on shimano chains, so that's my go-to.

In the last 5 years I've seriously stepped up my racing, being very hard on equipment. No chain issues still.

·
Underskilled
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's probably worth pointing to my sig and profile pic.

I put a lot of torque down and like to ratchet/trials move.

This puts an exceptional strain on chains, causing all but the strongest to disintegrate.

I've also snapped 5-6 rear hubs too.

jestep KMC used to be my fave too, but the 11 speed ones really let me down. I broke my last one 5 times in as many months. Snapped everywhere. middle of links, pins, joining plates. ping ping ping.

I've worn a couple on XTR ones down without a single snap.

The connex looks interesting, it was also one to consider, however, the last place to take unbiased info from is a company advert... I mean, impartial test.

I should probably ask this in Clyde too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.