Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross thread from clydes but its getting no attention over there.

Hey guys and gals, Ive run into a slight dillema. I'm 5'9" 230lbs I Ride a 2006 Ironhorse Yakuza Aniki and I recently bent the rear quickrelease skewer. I replaced it with an XT QR skewer that I had laying around but after one day of freeriding the XT skewer is already starting to very minorly bend. I just dont wanna run into an issue of snapping an axle and getting severely hurt on the trail. Anyone know any companies that make stronger rear QR skewers or where I can get one at? And before you think im bottoming out the suspension causing excess force this is not the case I called Ironhorse and had them ship me a new spring (750lbs) that was made for my weight with this suspension setup.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive

Update: I have looked into Hope Q/R Skewers and they seem to be getting decent reviews. Would these be stronger than the current XT Skewers I'm running right now? Also I'm Noticing there are Ti skewers and Stainless steel Skewers which material is stronger (weight is not a problem) Also is there anyway to save money and buy just a rear skewer as I have a 20mm thru axle up front and it would be a waste of money to buy a set of Skewers.

-Eric-

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its just a cheapo alloy disc hub that came on the bike (its an entry level freeride bike) I bought it because I needed a bike at the time and It uses the same frame as some of their upper level FR bikes so over time it will be going over a major facelift.

The rear hub fits the standard 135mm long 5mm diameter QR skewer I've never really looked into a rear thru axle would one work with this hub?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Eric Hoefer said:
Its just a cheapo alloy disc hub that came on the bike (its an entry level freeride bike) I bought it because I needed a bike at the time and It uses the same frame as some of their upper level FR bikes so over time it will be going over a major facelift.

The rear hub fits the standard 135mm long 5mm diameter QR skewer I've never really looked into a rear thru axle would one work with this hub?
It depends on how the hub is made. On some you can push the QR axle out and replace it with a solid axle. There are some aftermarket through axles available.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HJB said:
It depends on how the hub is made. On some you can push the QR axle out and replace it with a solid axle. There are some aftermarket through axles available.
My frame doesnt have pinch bolts either like the front fork does to secure the thru axle would this be an issue?

Sorry for being a nag its just I wanna get this done right and If im going to be spending money on it I want it to work the first time.

·
Registered
601 Posts
its not a through axle, its a bolt on. you can probably get it for $15 at your LBS. if you're iffy about installing it, have your LBS do it. i think all you have to do is unread the cones, slide the QR axle out, slide the bolt on axle in, and then tighten the cones just enough so the bearings dont bind.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Red5 thanks a ton for that!!! That will just fit in my existing hub? Or will I have to make modifications to it?

I dont believe my hub is a shimano the iron horse website only says its an Alloy disc hub Im going to shoot them an email to get more information on this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.