272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is a stronger 135mm, qr / 1-1/8" steer, NON-offset fork:
  • salsa enabler
  • soma battleaxe
  • <something else, in-stock now anywhere>

Thanks!!

DETAILS:

I need to put a 135mm qr (eg, classic REAR mtb hub) electric motor on a bike. Note, using 135mm for several reasons, price/availability of true 150mm/15mm TA motors one of them.

Requirements:
  • 135mm rear spacing
  • >= 4" tire clearance
  • straight 1-1/8" steer tube
  • available August'19 (eg, I can't do custom lead times)

Preference: strong enough for safe use with hub motor, obviously.

Have to compromise on: everything else: geometry, weight, etc

Obviously this is an old school sizing. Surly/QBP stocks a number of _offset_ 135mm qr folks, but AFAICT from a lot of googling, zero NON-offset forks are currently being produced, or in stock _anywhere_ :( there are a small number of the battleaxe and enabler forks on the new and old-stock market.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also, worth pointing out after there was some confusion on another thread

'OFFSET' is overloaded

• typically means ~~ rake / caster
  • also refers to side-to-side eg for rear chainline

this thread is using the latter

·
turtles make me hot
11,673 Posts
I've used Surly forks on a few bikes, Surly and non Surly. It's just my go to. Soma looks nice too.
I also use Pauls Components skewers on QR stuff. Excellent parts.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
DO NOT use a quick release skewer on a hub motor'd front fork. Very bad idea, but most hub motors are going to be bolt on and require some sort of torque arm. You will probably need to fabricate some sort of torque arm bracket so that you can mount it to a rack/fender mount on the said fork.

Probably surly, but from experiences in the past with coworkers I would suggest not going down this route.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DO NOT use a quick release skewer on a hub motor'd front fork. Very bad idea, but most hub motors are going to be bolt on and require some sort of torque arm. You will probably need to fabricate some sort of torque arm bracket so that you can mount it to a rack/fender mount on the said fork.

Probably surly, but from experiences in the past with coworkers I would suggest not going down this route.
Great points. I'm using grin's Gmac. It is bolt on, and has the best torque arm available
https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/gmac.html

My choice was between a used surly enabler, and a new battle-axe. For the moment, I went new battle-axe. They seem like a boutique shop with a solid rep... But honestly obviously very little info available. I may replace it with the moonlander fork when it becomes available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.