Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of ordering my first custom frame. After browsing a few websites and our favorite MTB forum, I find myself torn between Carl Strong and Scott Quiring. Strong does the best job of anyone of convincing me he knows what he's doing but I'd have an easier time affording Quiring and might even be able to spring for ti, which I can not do with Carl (or anyone else, for that matter). Riding impressions, purchasing experiences, I'd love to hear your stories. I've been riding a GF Superfly.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm racking up the miles on a "dirt road" bike that Carl built for me a year and a half ago. When you ride Carl's frame, you notice nothing except that where your eyes go, you and the bike follow for miles and miles and miles.
I don't have first hand knowledge of Quiring, but have only heard positive things.
Carl and Loretta Strong are just amazing to deal with. The communication was excellent, every detail was covered by email with photographs as well as by phone. The frame was finished and to me early. Along with all that professional stuff, they are really friendly folks with great senses of humor that made the process fun.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice.
c

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
themanmonkey said:
Hands down Carl Strong, he's one of the best builders around and knows his stuff like few others. If I didn't build my own stuff, I'd have Carl do it.
Both guys build incredible bikes.

Donkey has two Strongs and Dark Helmet and I each have a Quiring. My Quiring is my 3rd custom ti frame and the best feeling and geo of all of them.

·
Mashers Only!!
578 Posts
I don't own a strong or a Quiring but have seen my fair share of both. Carl Strong all the way. You will get a better fit with Strong among other things. I know price is an issue but try not to make that your main buying point. It costs more in the longrun! I would hold out for the Strong(Ti).

HUGH
:)

·
San Diego County
1,475 Posts
Natalie Portman said:
If you're choosing between a Steel Strong or a Titanium Quiring, I'd choose the later.
I agree with NP. I don't know CS frames but I know how much I love this one. It's a custom steel with a Blacksheep Ti fork and it's great. 20 lbs as shown.

I would love the same frame even more is it were Ti :thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Carl is the third custom builder I've used and he's the only one who'd do additional bikes for me. I like his work, his build is the best riding bike I've ever owned in 20 plus years of mountain biking and he does exactly what he says he will do when he says he will do it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah. Both companies have great products and have had products fail at one point or another. I always tell people to talk to both builders to see what they can do for you and to see who can meet your needs. I was stuck between another titus or an Eriksen I chose the Eriksen cause of the great customer service. The other side of the coin for me was not to many custom builders want to build a Frame for some one that is 6'3" and about 300lbs. :D

TOM

·
Registered
206 Posts
Try to get a builder

Im 6'10" 290lbs and Curtlo cycles is building mine. He is steel only I think, but has done it for 20 years and builds 100 bikes a year by himself. If you think 300 lbs is hard? Try someone that wants to build a bike for 6'10" 290lbs:p

·
San Diego County
1,475 Posts
1strongone1 said:
That is one sweet bike, why in the hell did I sell that thing.
I don't know but Jonathan made the same mistake. I even put your original 70mm stem back on it :D That Blacksheep you are/were selling is hot too :thumbsup:

I'm off to ride it right now :D Happy New Year!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.