Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Roll Tide
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of deciding which rims and spokes to complete my wheelset. I already have my hubs (hope pro 2). I ride a hardtail, I commute, I ride XC, I pick rougher lines, I will jump/drop off of anything under 5 feet. I use my bike for everything, and I want the wheels to be STRONG. I was looking at Mavic EX 823 disc rims, but they might be overkill. What are your recommendations?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do exactly what you have descripted above every week. My wheels on my hardtail are

ex721, plain gauge dt spokes, deore front, hope mono rear.

Run v brakes in all conditions, never need to true the rear and just over 2 years old, front i've had to true a tiny bit, i blame that on the quality of the wheel builder.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
"Strong like Ox.....Smart like Wood."

Someone I worked with years ago said that to some overbuilt musclehead on a beach cruiser. Just one of those sayings that stuck in my head, and when I read your title, I had to response.

OK...threadjack over.

·
Why not?
124 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about those Iodine wheels from crankbrothers? I saw them in my last "bike" issue and I haven't heard anything about them, the guys at my local bike shop said they hadn't really heard much from them ither.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have ex823's 36 straight gauge dt 2.0 spokes. I have beat the snot out of them for over 2 years, I put them on my truing stand this fall before a trip to Moab and they were straight as can be, last time I had to true them was the first month that I owned them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.