Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a Specialized hardtail bike. He has broken his original seat and an after market specialized seat (don't know the name, cost him 70-80 bucks). He weighs about 180-200lbs I'd say. What seat would you guys recommend? He is trying to only spend about 50 bucks or so. It not breaking is highest priority, followed by comfort. Also prefers a love groove. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Nervous Descender
717 Posts
macross said:
A buddy of mine has a Specialized hardtail bike. He has broken his original seat and an after market specialized seat (don't know the name, cost him 70-80 bucks). He weighs about 180-200lbs I'd say. What seat would you guys recommend? He is trying to only spend about 50 bucks or so. It not breaking is highest priority, followed by comfort. Also prefers a love groove. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm 205 and like the Koobi Au Chrono saddle- $35 at Pricepoint.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
$9 too much?

macross said:
I picked up some $9 Bontragers awhile back from I think it was Pricepoint, not the original all leather ones, these have a B embroidered on top, and more padding in the nose than the original, which I also ride and love. They're my favorite MTB saddles and I wish I had bought about 6 more of them.

·
Registered
571 Posts
WTB Speed V

The $29 WTB Speed V saddle is my all time favorite saddle.
Good price and great comfort. Not heavy and not light, just average weight.

The padding doesn't bottom out because it has a soft shell under the sit bone ares, making it less prone to hotspots.

I've ridden about 5 frames in the last two years, and I keep moving the Speed V to each new frame.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
I'd echo the Bontrager saddle recommendation, but the saddle referenced is the FS RaceLite, which went out of production in 2002, replaced with the FS2000.

good news is that PricePoint always has the FS2000 on sale for $20 or less. I'd get one unless you can find something at the LBS for equal price & value... which is unlikely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bontrager fs2000

Is there a big difference between the normal version of this saddle and the titanium one? I know it is about 2x the price for the titanium. He likes to put his bike through alot, is titanium just lighter? or is it a lot stronger also?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
macross said:
Is there a big difference between the normal version of this saddle and the titanium one? I know it is about 2x the price for the titanium. He likes to put his bike through alot, is titanium just lighter? or is it a lot stronger also?
Actually, the ti rails are most likely weaker than standard cr-mo rails. The ti is lighter and most saddle manufacturers offer 2 versions of many saddle.....the ti / leather version and the cr-mo / vinyl version.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blue Shorts said:
Actually, the ti rails are most likely weaker than standard cr-mo rails. The ti is lighter and most saddle manufacturers offer 2 versions of many saddle.....the ti / leather version and the cr-mo / vinyl version.
Ahh so it's an issue of saving wieght, not strength. So as far as steel/cr-mo/titanium, is cr-mo the strongest? or is steel?

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
mild steel rails bend easiest

then Ti

then CrMo

assuming the rails all are the same diameter.

the steel railed FS2000 would be good.

if he sits down for jumps and descents, he's not going to find many saddles that last long. they're not made for big folks who sit when they should stand, it's that simple.

worst case scenario, he could buy a honkin' DH saddle. the smallest one that's also inexpensive is the Titec Berserkr "comfort" which is only about 35 USD. The DH-KCX or whatever they call the CrMo railed Kevlar cornered version is about 50 USD. it's dependable, yeah.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.