Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
bike weenie
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it built quickly yesterday so I could ride it immediately... combination of big wheels, ti fork and post, steel frame is awesome. Anybody want to buy a 5-spot? :D

Instead of the standard poseur couch shot - I went with the playhouse.
 

Attachments

·
bike weenie
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Build list:

Strong 1x9 steel 29er frame
B.S. ti susp adj fork
king headset
extralite stem (soon to be replaced)
moots riser
sram xo twist shifter, x9 derailleur
truvative stylo cranks
rohloff guide
BS ti post
hope mini front, mono mini rear
king front hope rear with delgado rims, dt comp spokes
maxxis ignitor tires
wtb seat
eggbeaters

23lbs dead even
 

·
R I D E S T E E L
Joined
·
646 Posts
Too sweet. Folks, I was lucky enough to ride with RW last night on his maiden voyage. First, the bike is beatiful. He neglects to metion the Black Sheep fork and seat post in his lame description. Also, take note of the paint, or lack of paint job.

The bike is really sweet. And on his first ride on the big wheels, he was like a kid in a candy store! I haven't ridden with anyone that excited besides myself on my Walt. He seemed to ride more consistantly and faster than on his Turner, sans larger obsticals. A little adjustment period is in order.

Well done RW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
B E A U T I F U L...That frame is beautiful...The seatpost and fork are BEAUTIFUL...VERY nice build, enjoy!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Looks great!

RWGreen said:
Got it built quickly yesterday so I could ride it immediately... combination of big wheels, ti fork and post, steel frame is awesome. Anybody want to buy a 5-spot? :D
That is a beautiful frame - reminds me a lot of my Blacksheep! I also really like how the Blacksheep fork looks on it, but I'm just not man enough to go rigid yet :rolleyes:

I have to say though that, for as much as I love the 29er hardtail, I'm not by any means ready to get rid of my 5 Spot - they both have a place in my stable :thumbsup:
 

·
bike weenie
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah - there is something to be said for just barrelling over everything full speed. I just figured the only way I'd ride another bike was if it was totally different, so I have the spot built with a light XC build, and this - fully rigid.

You'd be surprised how compliant that blacksheep fork and post are... the bouncing I get from the rear of this bike reminds me of my old Seven Teres softail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
RWGreen said:
Yeah - there is something to be said for just barrelling over everything full speed. I just figured the only way I'd ride another bike was if it was totally different, so I have the spot built with a light XC build, and this - fully rigid.

You'd be surprised how compliant that blacksheep fork and post are... the bouncing I get from the rear of this bike reminds me of my old Seven Teres softail.
I'm using the blacksheep seatpost also, and I definitely have to say that I am impressed with how much the combination of the ti seatpost, ti frame and 29er wheels take the edge off of the impacts. The last hardtail I had was a '96 aluminum Gary Fisher and this is noticably more compliant than that bike was. However, by the end of a 4-5 hour ride, my body is still significantly more beat up on the blacksheep, even using a Reba fork.

Maybe someday I'll try the rigid setup - I really think the bike looks best with the blacksheep fork on it. However, for the immediate time I'll take the relative comfort that the Reba gives me :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
No disassemble number 5

RWGreen said:
Those are heat affected zones...
Well, not really. You aren't seeing HAZ. That frame was welded, and then either shot peened or bead blasted to a nice uniform finish. After that, a small torch is used to go back around welded areas and discolor them to make it look "raw". Finally it's clearcoated.

What you see isn't "as welded".

Awesome bike! I love Strong's.
 

·
bike weenie
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mckeand13 said:
Well, not really. You aren't seeing HAZ. That frame was welded, and then either shot peened or bead blasted to a nice uniform finish. After that, a small torch is used to go back around welded areas and discolor them to make it look "raw". Finally it's clearcoated.

What you see isn't "as welded".
Correct...

in my discussions with Carl on the finish, the the final process of discoloring was referred to as "heat affected zones"... similar to that on the DeSalvo on Spectrum's website.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top