Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy-

A few months back I stumbled upon a frame for sale that I couldn't pass up. A friend of Mikesee's was selling.....and I was in the buying mood. I've got a soft spot for Carl Strong frames and this one fit my needs perfectly.

Soo...I bought the frame and threw together a build kit from the parts bin. The only thing that I was lacking was a fork. I have a few monkey forks laying around but they just wouldn't do for this frame. I started looking around for a custom fork and stumbled into Rob Pennell, Badger Cycles. Make a long story short....I had Rob build me a 475mm canti only fork for the frame. He certainly delivered. The fork looks incredible....the fillets look great and the finish is a very glossy, smooth black. The legs have a nice taper to them and the dropout junction is super smooth/clean.

While waiting for the fork I started looking at the parts bin build kit and realized that there were a few items that just wouldn't do.....I ended up trading a few things...swapping a few things of other bikes...etc...and finally got a nice build kit together. The pics below will give you an idea of the finished product.

Once out on the trail...the bike delivers. The frame has a really nice ride to it...compliant while seated but very stiff at the BB. The chainstays are fairly short which makes for a fairly nimble feel with a front end that's easy to lift. The steering feels very neutral....not fast but not slow...just nice.

That's all.

Attachments

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Duuuuuuude... :thumbsup:

Taste.

What you have, my friend, is taste. Lots and lots of good taste. I cannot believe I'm all of a sudden jonesing for the simplicity of a SS with horizontal drops and, gulp, rim brakes!

That is some sani-goodness, right there.

Now, just get some action shots on your menu and you'll have me salivating for sure. Just ring the bell, Pavlov. :p

OGG

BTW- how's the little lady?
Pittsburgh rocks!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Padre said:
that stem is sweeet!
You're a turd, Padre. Don't you know quali-tay when you see it (I'm not talking about the stem, either)?;)

Donkey:

I want another badass Strong that fits me perfectly too. Great find.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
hot damn...that is a beauty! a classic!

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Padre said:
Donkey kinda looks like this guy....
Cippo definitely has more hair. And Padre, if you're gonna comment on a stem, Cippo's got us ALL beat by having his GF's photo on his stem -- talk about inspiration for a 40mph sprint! There's a close up of it on his website http://www.mariocipollini.net/default.asp

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice. I like it. Simple and clean.

If I could do my Waltworks over again, I'd ditch the EBB/disc brake setup for horizontals and V-brakes. I was sucked in because everyone else was doing it.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,443 Posts
So what is the intended use of this rig Donkey? Is it a travel bike? Reminder what steel feels like? Reminder how pitiful rim brakes are?

Its very nice looking. Are those the Phil hubed wheels that Moonbeam was riding?

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Endomaniac said:
So what is the intended use of this rig Donkey? Is it a travel bike? Reminder what steel feels like? Reminder how pitiful rim brakes are?

Its very nice looking. Are those the Phil hubed wheels that Moonbeam was riding?
No intended use really....just another bike to play around on:)

It'll definitely be the first bike I reach for when it's time to throw a bike in a travel box. This one already has a few scratches so I won't feel nearly as bad if it gets damaged in transit.

It's also nice to have a steel bike again.....It has a nice ride to it and it's definitely a noticeable difference from my 2 Ti bikes.

The brakes do leave a bit to be desired when the going gets steep.....but I've got other bikes for that:)

The wheels are indeed the Phils that CA was riding.....she's currently riding a set of white industry wheels until I get her SS disc wheelset built up....WTB hubs on VXC rims.

Good to hear from you...come out and visit....you've got a loaner bike now! (you too Lanpope)

B

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lanpope said:
Nice and clean SS.

How do you like the Motolites?

LP
The Motolites have treated me well. This is probably the 7th bike they've been on and they always feel basically the same. They're a pain to adjust....but they're also very adjustable.

If I had to buy high end v-brakes again....I'd probably go with Paul again or maybe Avid Ultimates.

B

1 - 19 of 19 Posts