Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - hoping to for advice for a new rim on a heavy cargo bike. I typically run 4.8" tires so would default to 80mm rims (but open to other opinions). easy tubeless is a big plus. Non-offset build, 32h. (I would go 36h, but near zero hub compatibility :( )

What are my best options for bomber rims?

I have run Mulefut 80sl's for a while, but with the new v2 the holes are HUGE (seems like some folks are having issues with tubeless builds; also the single mtbr thread mentions the rim vent holes are worse on the v2). I've had no problems but do try to baby them a bit. The MOBD symmetrical seem pretty similar to the mulefut's. Weinmann makes a _very_ heavy double wall.

Thoughts on the above? Any other options I should be considering that are notably stronger?

Thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess weinnman makes a single-wall rim as well:
hl801: <1100g
dhl80: <1300g

so the single wall is ~30% heavier than the mulefut (~800g vs 1100) .... is it significantly stronger?

·
turtles make me hot
11,442 Posts
Mulefut, Surly My Other Brother Darryl or Alex Blizzerk are all excellent rims. I've never had a single issue making them tubeless.
Go split tubeless on one of these rims if you're having issues but there's really no need.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mulefut, Surly My Other Brother Darryl or Alex Blizzerk are all excellent rims..
Thanks for the pointer on the Alex rims! I had on idea they made fat rims!! i've been really happy with some double wall std width rims I've built for an ebike for my dad;

Those Blizzerk's look to be ~10% more aluminum than the Mulefut's and a slightly stronger looking area-moment .... I might go that route.

·
turtles make me hot
11,442 Posts
I've been building with them lately. Very nice rims. Right now, 70's are not available. I made a couple of calls and was told the same thing...
The container is on it's way from Taiwan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts