Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Heading to Canberra for the weekend and going to ride Stromlo for the first time. :thumbsup:

I will probably have a total of about 2 hours to ride - not even going to scratch the surface, from what I understand, but that's all the time I'm going to have.

Most of the riding I do (Sydney, Blue Mountains) is XC but have been working on my technical skills in the last few months and hitting some more challenging terrain. I'm on a 5" dually.

So my question is, if you only had 2 hours at Stromlo and were riding on your own (no one to guide you), which trail would you do?

From what I've seen on the net, loop 3 and loop 4 look like they'll suit me skill-wise and time-wise, but I am open to suggestions.

If I have time, I'd love to have a run down the 4X track too, so my second question is whether that's worthwhile/advisable given (a) I won't have any shin/knee guards or full helmet and (b) I've never ridden a 4X track before.

Any useful tips gratefully received.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My recommendation would be to pick one of those two loops and follow that route (Route 4 has a nicer climb). They have numbers with arrows at each intersection so you dont have to stop and work out which track to take at each intersection, that way it flows a lot better.

The 4X track is at least worth a slow roll down. There is only one section that cannot be rolled but I am pretty sure you can take a B line around it.

Have fun, its great. Ill be riding there in a couple of weeks as part of the Capital Punishment (if I make it that far).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Dropped in to Canberra for a night on the way back from Queensland to Melbourne a while back. Had a similar time gap to ride. Cant help much with where I rode but it helped that I hooked up with a friendly local in the carpark, who turned out to be an excellent tour guide.......though a little slow. But well worth it cause i reckon i would have got lost otherwise.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.