Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the powder coat thread in General, but there isn't much traffic there and I need to get going on this project ASAP. I'm sure a number of the guys in here would know the answers to this, so here goes. I've picked up a P2 that was previously powder coated. I want to strip it and paint it to color match with my DeKerf frame. What are good name brand strippers I can pick up at my local hardware stores, and what should I stay away from? I've heard Permatex Gasket Remover works. Yea or nay? How long should I leave the stripper on for?

TIA

·
Registered
215 Posts
DFA, try a readily available citrus-based finish stripper, I used Citristrip, it's available at Lowes and likely other places. I've used both the spray type and the gel and had no issues getting 25 year old powder off a Fat Chance or two. Apply it thick and let it sit long enough to eat away at the coating, but not so long the stripper begins to dry out. The coating will turn rubbery and can be scraped away pretty easy-remove decals first, this stuff won't go through them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.