Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i would teach my self how to service my bike. my crank or bottom bracket has some play in it . i think it just needs tightening up. my question is how do you strip the chainset and bottom bracket down and what tools do you need :confused: . any answers would ber greatly appreciated. cheers

·
Registered
420 Posts
Removing crankarm

sofija said:
Thought i would teach my self how to service my bike. my crank or bottom bracket has some play in it . i think it just needs tightening up. my question is how do you strip the chainset and bottom bracket down and what tools do you need :confused: . any answers would ber greatly appreciated. cheers
To remove your crankarm and service the bottom bracket (tighten the cups, or replace), you do need a couple of tools.

First, you need metric hex allen wrenches to remove the crankbolts in the center of the crankarms.

Second, you must have the proper crankarm removing wrench, there are a couple types. It depends on what kind of bottom bracket you have. Either ISIS crankarm remover, or Square-Taper crankarm remover. So remove either the driveside or non-drive side arm from the bike.

Third, you need a special bottom bracket cup remover to either remove or tighten the bottom bracket cups. Again, there are several types, depending on the brand of bottom bracket and the type of interface that manufacturer went with.

So in al youe really only need 3 tools, but you will have to see a person who knows what kind of parts are on your bike before buying the correct tools. Most bike shops will stock the crankarm pullers and bottom bracket removal tools. Buy a goood set of metric hex allen wrenches from Sears or Home Depot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.