Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it is almost totally round. they are mounted to some 661 downhill shoes where the inner foot-bed is not removable. the cleats are so worn that i can't just keep using them until the shoes wear out.

anyone have any ideas no how to get it off?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Completely drill out the bolt head, use an Easy-Out, or Dremel a "slot" in the bolt head to allow a flat blade screwdriver to remove it. It's a pain in the ass any way you do it, though. Good luck!

toby

·
Unshaven Yak
503 Posts
2nd vote on the Dremel. I have done that with a number of frozen bolts (including a cleat bolt) and it works like a charm every time.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
been there done that...

the dremel will probably ruin the cleat (i ruined mine and the bolt still wouldn't come out)

i let it soak with wd40 for a night then used an easy out. worked first time cost about $12 for the easy out.

·
Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
1,630 Posts
Tinshield said:
I drilled one once. Find a bit that fits in the allen hole and once you get down enough the head will pop off.
Yup. This works well...

I have also welded an old allen wrench onto the bolt. This works better than anything else I've tried. It's a bit extreme, but if you have access to a TIG welder it works great and get's the cleat off in 2 mins. flat.

Cheers,

KP

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Its also possible to use a torx wrench and a hammer.

Simply pick a torx wrench thats a tiny bit too large to fit in smoothly, and hammer it in.

9/10 that will get the bolt out.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
jopela said:
+1 for the easy out. Much less potential for problems than the dremmel.
+1. great tool for strippage. now if i can just find a place to put it so it won't get lost. i've lost two so far.

i tend to be a ten-thumbed gorilla when it comes to wrenching. :madman:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.