Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to rplace the cable for my front derialleur. One minor problem, as I was trying to remove the cover from the Shimano Lx shifter pod I stripped the little screw out. Any suggestions on how to remove it with out screwing anything up?

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jeffscott said:
Blow some air at it.

Something doesn't sound right, mine you turn it oh kinda half a turn and it pops out.

Maybe try to get the air behind it??? into the pod.
I am talking about the 2 small phillips screws that hold the cover inplace. I stripped 1 of the 2 out.:madman:

I thought maybe a screw extractor but I think that I will have a hard time finding one small enough, then I thought a small cut off wheel from my dremel but I am not to sure that will be small enough. What if I try to tap a flat head screw driver in there, very carefully??

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is a quick picture of it.

The screw is the silver looking hole on the top right side. The bottom left screw is the good screw, very tiny screws.:madman: any suggestions are very helpful.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SteveUK said:
You know you don't need to remove that cover to get the cable out? It's not entirely unlikely that you never, ever need to remove that cover.
so how would I get the cable out. this is my 1st set of lx pods

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see there are a few screws on the under side of the shifter but those things are in there tight. Then there is a small screw plug on the side of the pod aswell.
I am at a loss on how to remove the old cable, my old shifter pod I just unscrewed the top.

·
Registered
491 Posts
ironbike1 said:
I see there are a few screws on the under side of the shifter but those things are in there tight. Then there is a small screw plug on the side of the pod aswell.
I am at a loss on how to remove the old cable, my old shifter pod I just unscrewed the top.
that screw plug is what you want to take out. shift your shifter into the fully relaxed position, (1) and you should be able to push the cable through.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
revmonkey said:
that screw plug is what you want to take out. shift your shifter into the fully relaxed position, (1) and you should be able to push the cable through.
Thanks, I am happy to hear tha I dont need to worry about that little screw. I just hope I wont need to take it out sometime in the future?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
491 Posts
ironbike1 said:
Thanks, I am happy to hear tha I dont need to worry about that little screw. I just hope I wont need to take it out sometime in the future?:thumbsup:
np, good luck :)

(btw, there really should be no reason whatsoever for you to take off those two little screws... they hold the bar clamp to the shifter body. can you thikn of a reason why you'd have to take those two apart? no? good.)

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"..they hold the bar clamp to the shifter body."

They don't. They hold the selector needle window onto the shifter body. The only reason to remove the window is if you don't want a visual display of which gear you're in.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything works good now. All I need to get is a new cable, I just ordered these LX pods & the cable they came with was to short to reach my front derialleur.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SteveUK said:
"..they hold the bar clamp to the shifter body."

They don't. They hold the selector needle window onto the shifter body. The only reason to remove the window is if you don't want a visual display of which gear you're in.
even better. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.