Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Gt avalanche has a stripped out pedal on the crank. Its stuck in the crank right now wobbling around, tried backing it out but no go.... any way to salvage this?

·
I4NI
1,222 Posts
Did it just happen? Hopefully a helicoil can be inserted to save the crank arm. Try your LBS or machine shop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, but its been making some slight noises the last few times out, the last 5 mile ride the pedal started wobbling. I think the best thing to do is get a new crank set (upgrade) or fix this one... Is it that hard to heli-coil & remove?

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
If the pedal is still in the crank arm and won't back out it is not stripped. The bearings in your pedal are probably shot.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
just went through this too.
some threads are damaged in the crank arm and the pedal is getting caught up.
try pulling on the pedal to keep it straight while trying to back out.

My threads were shot and the LBS tried to re-thread (not helicoil)...but too much aluminum was missing....so I bought new cranks.

JensonUSA has LX with 22, 32, 44 for $85. Great price.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It usually makes sense to have a bike shop install a thread insert, either Heli-coil or bushing to save right cranks in otherwise good shape. The economics are different for left cranks with the cost of the repair approaching that of a replacement (depending on the crank).

Obviously the pedal will need to be removed before the crank can be repaired so try to turn it out (top to rear of bike) while keeping some outward pressure on it with a tire lever or the like.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ever consider what might happen if you had a pedal that failed catastrophically (because of a shoddy repair job) such as when landing from a jump? Personally the fear of that would make me cough up the small amount of money for new cranks. What is the cost of a trip to the ER for a 1/2 dozen stitches?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
myarmisonfire said:
Ever consider what might happen if you had a pedal that failed catastrophically (because of a shoddy repair job) such as when landing from a jump? Personally the fear of that would make me cough up the small amount of money for new cranks. What is the cost of a trip to the ER for a 1/2 dozen stitches?
Nobody's talking of some kind of a slip shod repair. A properly installed insert will be as strong (or stronger) than the original thread, so there's no need to worry about increased risk of injury.

BTW- Heilcoil inserts in aluminum are actually stronger than bolting directly into tapped threads, and are use through the aircraft industry because of their proven reliability.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, Good info thanks! I got the pedal out by brute force method, hammer & a chisel & kinda threaded it out. Pedal threads are good but crank is done for, Its got indention's where it was wobbling inside the arm. What are some new crank sets that are comparable or better to the SR Suntour currently installed.... Links?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts