Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, dont post much on here but i need some help. Tried doing my first oil/seal change on my '11 fox 36 talas. everything went smooth up until i went to put back on the damper side foot nut. it seems one of the threads on either the foot nut or the damper threads is stripped just a tad to where when it gets to a certain point, the foot nut stops threading and it just spins the damper. has anyone ever had this happen before? i figure something happend when i was knocking the damper loose. i was very intimidated to do this, but after watching videos on it i thought everything would go smoothly. i guess not. any advice is appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive tried to thread the nut all the way on without the lowers on the fork, just so i could grip the damper. but the nut still wont go all the way on. if i thread the nut on backwards, it threads on no problem until it gets to the one thread that might be stripped. just going to have fox send me another one on monday and see if thats the problem.

·
Registered
511 Posts
had the same problem with mine when I seviced them.
Try this first:
Dismantle the legs again so that you can see if you have butchered the thread, Im betting you havent.
If you have then you could put 3 nuts on it to fix.
Nut 1 goes on first to rethread the stud. Nuts 2&3 go on next and are locked against each other so that you have something to hold when you use nut 1.

If its not butcherd then what is happening is that you are able to tighten it up to a point where friction gives up on the internals and allows it to spin around rather than holding firm. Try tapping the bottom of the leg with a hammer against a bit of wood. This should provide enough force to bind the two together so that they dont spin when tightening the nut.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.