Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved '01 Six Deluxe has a stripped disc brake post. I'm not sure if I did it, or if it came that way, but when I first installed my brakes, it seemed to strip with relatively light pressure compared to the other post.

I DON"T want to get rid of this fork, but I'm concerned with it's safety now. I'm not sure there is enough material there for a helicoil...does anyone have any other ideas? Epoxy, JBWeld?

Thanks
AJ

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Longer bolt

mcseforsale said:
My beloved '01 Six Deluxe has a stripped disc brake post. I'm not sure if I did it, or if it came that way, but when I first installed my brakes, it seemed to strip with relatively light pressure compared to the other post.

I DON"T want to get rid of this fork, but I'm concerned with it's safety now. I'm not sure there is enough material there for a helicoil...does anyone have any other ideas? Epoxy, JBWeld?

Thanks
AJ
Try a longer bolt. The post is threaded pretty deeply, and a longer bolt has saved two of my forks. Since the loads are onto the post and not the bolt, you don't have to worry about the safety of doing this.

Ole.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I second the helicoil. It is a very good solution and a cheap one.

_MK

·
otb club member
3,082 Posts
Ole said:
Try a longer bolt. The post is threaded pretty deeply, and a longer bolt has saved two of my forks. Since the loads are onto the post and not the bolt, you don't have to worry about the safety of doing this.

Ole.
Yep. In fact, it's usually the reason they strip in the first place (too short of a bolt putting to much stress on too few threads).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.