Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep.....I did it.
After years of being careful to torque everything just right. I took out the t-handle and just went a bit too far.
Now what?
Any suggestions?
I do own a full set of tap and dies, but no helicoils this small.
Tap it out to the next size up? If it makes any difference it is the upper boss that I goobered up.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Yep.....I did it.
After years of being careful to torque everything just right. I took out the t-handle and just went a bit too far.
Now what?
Any suggestions?
Tap it out to the next size up? If it makes any difference it is the upper boss that I goobered up.
I purchase (almost free) a pair of Hope calipers about 7 years ago with stripped mounts (three out of four), I just got my helicoil kit out and I had them fix in less than 5 minutes and they are still in use today.

I don't think tapping for the next size up is a good idea since you will need to drill the frame to accommodate the bigger diameter bolt

Ps: helicoils are cheap but I like timeserts better..

·
Magically Delicious
12,499 Posts
Yep.....I did it.
Now what?
Any suggestions?
Was this a Rear Brake Mount or the Front Fork Mount? If just a caliper mount (rear), might be cheaper to just replace mount.

Timeserts are great and I like them better than helicoils, but they have a slight lip that could interfer with the mount. This can be rectified by counter-sinking with a pilot-mill or flat tipped drill if that lip presents a problem.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the front. Apparently I set the coil too deep... now I need to get a longer bolt.
Some things just end up being bigger projects than anticipated.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
It was the front. Apparently I set the coil too deep... now I need to get a longer bolt.
Some things just end up being bigger projects than anticipated.
I don't think that is such a great idea, just screw the insert out and start again with the same insert or even better a new one..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.