Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulling my HMX-2 off of my 2004 Manitou Axel Comp the other night to convert the travel from 80->100mm. When I pulled the bottom-most bolt off of the boss, I saw shards of fillings fall out of it, and to my disbelief, the whole inside of the fork boss was as smooth as could be. I just bought the bike 5 months ago, and rode it maybe a dozen times, never pulling the brakes off. What could've caused this? What can I do to get it fixed? I thank you ahead of time for any advice. Keep on ridin'

· Registered
1,737 Posts
Go back to your LBS and tell them what happened. They should be able to get the appropriate boss. Failing that, e-mail the Manitou folks and see if they'll help out. Most of the manufacturers that I've contacted have responded positively.
JamFan44 said:
I was pulling my HMX-2 off of my 2004 Manitou Axel Comp the other night to convert the travel from 80->100mm. When I pulled the bottom-most bolt off of the boss, I saw shards of fillings fall out of it, and to my disbelief, the whole inside of the fork boss was as smooth as could be. I just bought the bike 5 months ago, and rode it maybe a dozen times, never pulling the brakes off. What could've caused this? What can I do to get it fixed? I thank you ahead of time for any advice. Keep on ridin'

· Registered
195 Posts
If the threads are stripped

You can Heli Coil it. I have done it in the past on an old pair of rock shox forks. I guess it would still work on today's shocks. You need to overdrill the hole slightly (per Heli Coil directions) and insert the heli coil and then you have new and secure threads. Just make sure you drill to the exact same depth of the original hole. Too little and the brake bolt won't tighten - you will need spacers. Too much and you could drill through tube - that would be bad. If nervous, go to the LBS and have them do it. Maybe there are other options, but as stated, it worked for me in the past. You can get Heli Coils at an auto parts shop.

· (enter witty phrase here)
2,194 Posts
JamFan44 said:
Which is stripped? The brake stud or the fork itself? If it's the stud, it can be removed from the fork and replaced. If it's the fork, then your only options are a helicoil or new casting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.