Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I was trying to get the rotor off my Chris King hub last night and got 5 of the six bolts off. The last one was seized, and in the process of trying to muscle it out, I rounded out the allen head.:madman: :madmax: I'm thinking of trying heat from a propane torch and a vice grip. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Dremel, liquid wrench, screw driver. Or if that doesn't work, just cut the head completely off. Then take the rotor off, this exposes part of the thread. Get a vice grip around that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Dremel, liquid wrench, screw driver. Or if that doesn't work, just cut the head completely off. Then take the rotor off, this exposes part of the thread. Get a vice grip around that.
Thanks. This sounds like the safest plan. Anyone else?

·
I meant to do that
133 Posts
hack-man162 said:
Yeah, I thought about that, but as I don't have a drill press, I'm a little worried about not getting it drilled straight. What do you think about cutting (with a dremel) a straight slot across it and trying a screwdriver? That, and maybe a little heat????
You don't need a drill press. The hole doesn't even need to be straight. Just deep enough for the screw extractor to bite. You put the screw extractor in the hole, tap it a little with a hammer, grip the end with some pliers and lefty-loosey, it's out. I've done this many times with great success. There is also a more expensive set of bits that doesn't require you to drill a hole, just install it in your drill and slowly reverse...

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Been there.............

hack-man162 said:
Like he said "Dremel, liquid wrench, screw driver." However I didn't need the liquid wrench.

Just cut a big enough slot so you can use a big flat head screw driver

Good luck:)

·
Registered
797 Posts
this is one of my favorites for this type situation...

hack-man162 said:
On the basis that the bolt probably has blue locktite on it, you need heat to soften the bond. The safest way I have found to do this is to orient the bolt so that is is vertical, with the head, or what used to be the head, is pointing down. Now, apply heat to the bolt head or stump, using a soldering gun ( I use the regular 100/140 watt gun)- since heat rises, after a couple of minutes of heat, it should be very easy to turn that last bolt. I have also used this method for removing pins from platform pedals. If I had Chris King hubs, which I don't, I certainly would not even consider using open flames...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dumper said:
On the basis that the bolt probably has blue locktite on it, you need heat to soften the bond. The safest way I have found to do this is to orient the bolt so that is is vertical, with the head, or what used to be the head, is pointing down. Now, apply heat to the bolt head or stump, using a soldering gun ( I use the regular 100/140 watt gun)- since heat rises, after a couple of minutes of heat, it should be very easy to turn that last bolt. I have also used this method for removing pins from platform pedals. If I had Chris King hubs, which I don't, I certainly would not even consider using open flames...
The soldering iron is a GREAT idea. I really didn't want to take a propane flame to my King hubs! I'll try w/o liquid wrench and with liquid wrench first, then resort to soldering iron heat last.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had the same problem

Yeah, been there, only 5 out of 6 stripped (crappy little things). I took a new hacksaw blade, cut a notch into the head of the bolt, tapped in a flat blade screwdriver, and presto, screwed right out.:thumbsup:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
My rotor bolts are torx head. When i damaged the treads on a bolt, i was fortuneate enough to be able to get it out with an impact driver, and got just enough bite to get it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts