Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sort of a weird questions so please bear with me... I just switched over my stock bontranger select something or other wheels to tubeless with a Stan's kit (easier than I expected) after remounting my kenda Nev and SB8 i noticed that both tires appear to be slightly out of round when I spun them. Upon further investigation i noted that right at the bead/rim junction there seems to be 1/8" to 1/4" section of exposed textured bead material graduated over a 12" and 8" distance (front and rear respectively). My initial thought was a failure to seat the bead properly so after several deflate, bead encouragement, re-inflate cycles I think that might not be it, they seal very easily after all. Additionally, everything looks right up to about 15psi, it is only higher than that, that I see textured bead area material start to appear. So, with no further adew, my question is... has anybody ever seen anything like this before? Could i have over stretch the bead on my tires (they were tough to mount). Am I crazy? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Take care,
John

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
That textured bead section....

is the only section on the tire that is properly seated! Most tires have a textured area or a line of some sort just above the bead. When the bead is properly seated that section should be visible just above the edge of the rim all the way around the tire, not just in on an 8 to 12" section. See the picture below for what I "think" you are talking about. You'll need to inflate those tires to a little better than 15psi to get the beads fully seated. Take em up to a max of 40psi with the Stans kit. Anymore than that and you may blow the tires off the rims. It is very unlikely that you stretched the bead of the tire in simply mounting them. But your tires deffinately aren't fully seated in the rim bead. Depending on the tire manufacturer the textured area may be just a roghened looking section, or it may be vertical lines like in the picture, or it may be just a small single raised line. In any case it should be visible all the way around the rim. Any section where it's not visible, the bead of the tire isn't fully seated on the bead of the rim and you have a potential for burpping or tire roll off in that spot. So get that bead properly seated before you ride!

Good Dirt

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well don't i feel sheepish... thanks for the help brother, I too will do as your Rice Crispies say. Take it easy.

John

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jruddusmc said:
well don't i feel sheepish... thanks for the help brother, I too will do as your Rice Crispies say. Take it easy.

John
Most of the time DIY "tubeless conversion" rim strips make the rim's bead seat diameter oversize and it can difficult to get the tire to seat well. Sort of like trying to put 1 liter of water in a 1 quart bottle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roger that shiggy, I concur, I have only been at this biking thing for a couple years now and I am mostly a hack figuring things out as I go... Squash, I wound up doing a couple more deflate/re-inflate cycles, lots more soapy water and a little wailing and gnashing of teeth, now I have two properly seated tires. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar thanks again for your time

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
No problem..

and no need to feel sheepish about it. The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. That's providing that you really don't know! :D

Good Dirt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts