Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my Dad's ol' 80 something Razesa roadie off and on, and although the bike rides great, its developed a weird churning/grinding feeling in the BB area.

First question - Can I convert this to a modern sealed BB?

Second question - Is anyone else concerned that they might be harming their old bikes by riding them like a new bike?

I'm not hard on this road bike, but I'm a bigger guy, and a bit of a masher, and I ride broken alleys occasionally, so the bike gets definitely gets used.

Thoughts?

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
First question - yes. IIRC Phil Wood BBs are available with either ISO or JIS spindles and english or italian retainers
Second question - no. They are meant to be ridden, and for the most part can be repaired if they break, especially steel frames.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
It is a spanish brand, I don't know what their preference was for bottom bracket threading. Crank brand should hint at spindle pitch. Pull the cranks and measure for spindle length. Thread type should be marked on the cups, or real quick just measure the BB shell, if it is 70mm it should be italian threaded. Italian will be marked, I think, something along the lines of 36mm x 24tpi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts