Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do mostly urban riding and want to find something a little more durable than the last set of tires I had. The Intense Micro Knobbies I had were wicked fast and grippy, but they only last maybe 2-3 months of daily riding and at $30/tire I don't feel like replacing 'em that often. What are some other options to check out? I do a fair amount of dirt riding, too, so I'm not looking for something strictly for the streets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
I've taken my Hookworms off road at low pressure with decent success. They last forever (barring sidewall cuts), but are a bit heavy (especially if you don't need a 2.5").
Bontrager has a whole slew of dirt jump & cruiser tires in various sizes; check with your local trek dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,565 Posts
K-Rads are good, Holy Rollers are verrrry heavy. I'd suggest the Kenda Kiniption. My absolute favorite tire, amazing in the dirt, even better on the street. If I still had a dirtjump bike, or even a bmx bike I would run these 110% of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
K-Rads are good, Holy Rollers are verrrry heavy. I'd suggest the Kenda Kiniption. My absolute favorite tire, amazing in the dirt, even better on the street. If I still had a dirtjump bike, or even a bmx bike I would run these 110% of the time.
I was gonna say the Kendas. They are grippy as hell. I love 'em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,565 Posts
cicatrix said:
I was gonna say the Kendas. They are grippy as hell. I love 'em.
Plus they actually last quite a while.

False said:
...Intense Micro Knobbies I had were wicked fast and grippy, but they only last maybe 2-3 months of daily riding...
With today's tires, you really shouldn't expect to get more than 4-6 months out of a set anyways, especially with daily riding like you are doing. If I rode my singlespeed mountain bike daily, I wouldn't get 2 months out of my tires either (Kenda Nevegal/Small Block 8). I do agree that the Micro's don't last long at all though. I've ridden both the Micro's and the Kiniptions and the Kiniptions last much longer and grip about the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I had read this earlier. I ordered a set of Holy Rollers from my LBS today.

NS Suburban frame, DJ1 forks, Odyssey pedals, FSA bars, and those tires should be coming in the next several days. Now I just gotta figure out wheels, cranks, and a brake. Hittin' up PinkBike because I've already blown the budget I set. Thank God for tax returns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,565 Posts
False said:
I wish I had read this earlier. I ordered a set of Holy Rollers from my LBS today.

NS Suburban frame, DJ1 forks, Odyssey pedals, FSA bars, and those tires should be coming in the next several days. Now I just gotta figure out wheels, cranks, and a brake. Hittin' up PinkBike because I've already blown the budget I set. Thank God for tax returns.
Can you cancel the order or change it? If so I would do that asap. I know that my LBS only sends out the orders every tuesday and gets the shipment on thursday...so if your shop hasn't actually placed the order yet (it's just in their "shopping cart") then you should easily be able to call and change it. I would at least ask them if the order has been placed yet. Sometimes, if you have a shop with understanding employees, they will order the second set of tires for you and just keep the first set in their shop, basically just adding the other tires to the order. But I don't know how your shop works, I'd talk to them if you really want to change tires...I would, Holy Rollers are heavvvyyyyyy. Make sure you spend the extra couple bucks to get the folding bead if you do go with the Kendas...I'll never buy wire bead tires again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know the order hasn't been placed, but the shop is closed Sundays and Mondays. I'll call and leave a message. Those Kendas do look rad. Probably gonna go with the Kraniums.

It's a real small shop that specializes in BMX. I don't know if he'd be able to move the 26" Holy Rollers so I'd feel pretty bad asking him to do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,565 Posts
In my opinion I don't like the Kraniums...they don't have a high enough pressure for my liking, the tread doesn't do well off-road or in the dirt, and they only come in a 2.1 width...again that's just me, I'm 235lbs so I need high pressures, I love the Kiniption and just don't care for the Kranium, and I only run 2.3 or bigger tires on my dj bikes (helps with flats and helps the rim stay true since the large tire is taking all the beating instead of the tube or rim).

One thing about the Kiniption, which is one reason I love the tire, that you cannot tell from the picture on Kenda's site is that the tread actually varies in height. It is not a uniform tread all the way across the tire. Every other tread is just a tad bit higher kind of like this (imagine each line is a tread and you are looking across the tire if it were flat) -_-_-_-_-_ and it also does that in a checker pattern...basically like every black square is just a milimeter higher than the red squares. That adds so much traction and grip to the tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,565 Posts
This is about the best picture I could find of the tire showing the tread pattern. Zoom in if you can, not sure if you can see what I'm saying about the tread. It is next to a K-Rad which is basically the same tread design just larger knobs. Another thing I forgot to mention about the tire which is another thing that i like about it is that the tread wraps from bead to bead. Great for urban or street riding. Adds grip to the sidewall and also strength.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,040 Posts
I been on Geax Tattoos for a couple months now and have been pretty impressed with it. The tread pattern wraps all around the tyre and gives it a ridiculous amount of grip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
One thing about the Kiniption, which is one reason I love the tire, that you cannot tell from the picture on Kenda's site is that the tread actually varies in height. It is not a uniform tread all the way across the tire. Every other tread is just a tad bit higher kind of like this (imagine each line is a tread and you are looking across the tire if it were flat) -_-_-_-_-_ and it also does that in a checker pattern...basically like every black square is just a milimeter higher than the red squares. That adds so much traction and grip to the tire.
I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I first got them! I didn't know the tread varies in height.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
I've got Kiniptions on my BMX bike. It sees 99% street use. The few times it's seen any offroad was really just getting from point a to b and was for small bits. The little bit of offroading the tires saw that did ok. I keep them pumped up high on the street, so I'm sure if they were aired down they'd be a little better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wasn't able to beat the order for my tires; picked up the Holy Rollers yesterday. I'll pick up a set of Kiniptions in a few months.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Holy Rollers have always been my go to tire. They're only issue is the sidewalls aren't that strong.

They run wider than the stated size.

I just put a Halo Twin Rail on my rear (with Roller in front) and I'm liking that tire.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top