Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I'm moving up from 20" to 24" soon (frame will have been paid for by Saturday) and wanted to share my plans with you to get your comments/suggestions. So here goes:

Frame: Dk General Lee 24" Black
Fork: S&M Pitchfork 24" Black
Rims: Sun Rhyno Lites XL (36 hole), Chrome
Hub Rear: Odsseyy Hazard Cassett Hub (36 H) Red
Hub Front: Shadow Rant or Odyssey Cassett (36 H) Red
Handle Bars: Atom Lab GI's Black
Stem: Animal Jump Off, Red
Grips: Open to suggestions
Bar ends: Danger Boy Bar ends, Red
Brake Levers: Danger Boy Lever, Red
Brakes: Odyssey Evolver U Brakes
Brake Cable: Animal Illegal Linear Cable, Red
Headset: FSA Pig, Black
Tires: Kenda K-Rads
Pedals: Odyssey JC, Red
Cranks: Primo Hollow Bites, Black, 175mm
Chain Wheel: Tree Bike Co Chain Wheel, Red T?
Chain: Shadow Conspiracy Half Link
Seat: Shadow Conspiracy Slim Seat, Black with red stitching
Seat Post: S&M Ram Rod
Seat Post Clamp: MCS Lite Seat Post Clamp, Red, 1"
Pegs: Odyssey GI Pegs, Black, Non Drive Side

Let me know if I am forgetting anything, because I probably did.

So as you probably guessed I am going for a red and black color scheme, should look pretty good I think. I also need some suggestions for a good gear ratio. That will determine which chain wheel I will get. I also need some suggestions for good grips, I am pretty clueless in that area but I use gloves most of the time if that helps.

So guys fire away, I am open to any comments, suggestions, or what ever.

·
brooklyn bike rider
504 Posts
check out the gear ratio thread in the tech forum at www.streetsteeze.com/forum
there's a really good breakdown.
i run 39/16 on 24s and it's a big high.
you probably want microdrive though, so maybe 28/13 or something.

go to a shop and feel the grips, get whatever feel right.
everyone runs animal edwins these days.

when you get that dangerboy lever post a review,
they look really tight!

sounds like a nice bike.
have fun on it and of course post up when it's all built and ridden.

·
brooklyn bike rider
504 Posts
yeah snaky's right, you're going to need cruiser bars if you're running a straight bmx cruiser fork.

oh and you might get some chain tensioners if you really wanna run the shadow chain; i hear it stretches a lot.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Snaky, do you really think the pedal rub will be a big issue?

Also even with the 2" rise you think I'll still be hunched over? If so do you have any suggestions for good tough bars?

Thanks for the link mosplat, it helps alot. I think I will be running a 28/12 or something around there.

·
destructionismyobjective
371 Posts
I got the black gl. I was thinkin of changin some parts to go with the black/red scheme. I destroyed my rear wheel last week if you caught the post. Im haveing a rear wheel built with the oddesey hazard casette hub in red, if possible im gonna have it laced w/ red spokes to a alex supra b rim. Id recommend building the strongest rear wheel you can and go with the 48 spoke. I dont think you can quite fit as big a tire on this frame. Im running the 1.75 krads that came on it. I think that may be why i destroyed the rear wheel, not so much plush like some 2.3s. I was also looking at the shadow conspiracy saddle. I got a set of thier pegs. And like stated run cruiser bars. I was thinking of changing to mtb bars but unless they had a huge rise I dont think It would be a comfortable ride. Btw how much was the frame?? The whole bike complete is only 250--For me Im gonna roll it stock and replace stuff as it breaks(im broke/cheap) But to each thier own Good luck and have fun it is a fun bike for sure.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Vinny A said:
Snaky, do you really think the pedal rub will be a big issue?

Also even with the 2" rise you think I'll still be hunched over? If so do you have any suggestions for good tough bars?

Thanks for the link mosplat, it helps alot. I think I will be running a 28/12 or something around there.
Yes I really do think you may have problems with the pedals, the steep HA may make your front foot hit the tire sometimes and that is usually unwanted. I'd go with 170mm or less.

Atomlab's BMX bars look sick, but I'm not very knowledgable in that area, I ride a MTB only.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright I'll look around for some shorter cranks.

Now I need to find some bars with a rise around 5"

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've already been looking at dans comp. They were the first place I went when I was looking for parts. I found the S&M RV bars with a 5.75" rise. They should be great. Unless anyone else has suggestions I'm gonna go with them.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the RV bars are the same as the Cruiser bars apparently, same rise and what not

·
Registered
345 Posts
danger boy levers feel sooo damn good, i have them on my mags

·
Registered
952 Posts
Looking at your parts list, the General Lee frame looks kinda out of place.

You should call up Rick at Standard Bykes and have them weld up a 24" 250-S. I've seen a few big Standards and they look nice.

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How does it look out of place? Also how much would a Standard frame run me?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
another bar option is atomlab jesme's 3" rise. since your running 24"s, id go 28-12, 25-11. That tree sprocket will be sick.
I personally dont think you'll have a problem with 175mm cranks. i run em with not too much foot rubbage, but thats on 26s! wen i start rollin 24s, it should be all good.
For grips, i run demolition team. i know alot of people who like em alot. They are abit thicker than some grips tho. my next grip will be animal edwins. i've read tons of great bmx reviews on them.

i think some people think the general lee is outa place because its a cheap frame, and you've got a fairly killer parts list. maybe tonic fab or USB molly?

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah, I've been debating getting a Nemesis or even a USB Molly (both equally sick bikes) but I don't think I can justify spending that much on a frame when I'll just fvck it up doing disasters. Then again I guess getting a really killer frame would solve that. I'll give it some thought. A nemesis is pretty far out of the question as it would require me to run a suspension fork which I don't want. Mostly because it costs so much more, but also because I want to be able to run 2 non drive side pegs.

I'll think it over some more about the USB Molly, maybe I'll be able to work a deal on the Terror Box.

·
brooklyn bike rider
504 Posts
snaky - word. :)

what we have to distinguish here is the difference between a bmx cruiser and a 24" mtb.

vinny you want a cruiser right?
as you're coming from 20s you'll have the pop to rock a bmx cruiser just fine.
the angles will also be pretty close to what you're used to.

about the tonic and usb molly recommendation, that would ideally require either a suspension fork, or a suspension-corrected rigid fork,
both of which frames and forks would cost more than the cruiser frame and fork.
and it would feel pretty different too.

i prefer 24" mtbs personally, but i've never ridden my ideal cruiser.

but yeah, definitely get s&m cruiser bars. those are the best.
and even if standards and s&m cruisers are nicer, the dk is a fine frame.
is money an object?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts