Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im in the process of re-doing my HT in order to make it the best Urban missle I can. As of right now I am buying a Ridgid fork to replace my Domain 318is... Although right now, I cant decide whether I should get the 26" or 29" version....

My frame is a 19" Leader 526H. All geometry specs can be found here:
https://www.leaderbikestore.com/pd_ld_516h1.cfm

And as for the fork, here are the length measurments for the fork I will be replacing the Domain with;
26" version; 445mm
29" v. ; 465mm

Will a 26" version of the ridgid be long enough to fill out the head angle so I dont have all my weight leaning forward?

I know its a somewhat strange question... But I hope you guys can help shed some light on whether the 29" version would be good, or simply waaaaay raked out.

Heres a pic of the Bike as it is now, with the Forks U-turn Cranked almost all the way down... For visual reference;

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Razorfish said:
That's hot.

445mm or 465mm. Since they're made to emulate suspension fork I bet a 29 will fit in the smaller fork. I'd go with a 29 wheel and pick the fork that best preserves your geometry. That'd be a sweet ride.
I know it sounds silly, but I have 2 diff sets of wheels and tires in 26" that are pretty much new so I would like to keep it 26" up there for a while

So I should just measure my Axle to crown with the domain at my ideal height and then just buy whichever fork is colsest to that measurment?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I got the specs on the Domain's Axle to Crown length;
Domain 115: 500mm
Domain 160: 545mm

Since the 29" version is 465mm, Im gonna go with that and hope it doesnt affect handling negatively.

Sound about right?

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
If that's from the website it's probably the full extended length. There will be some sag. To get it perfect (or close) I would have somebody measure it while you're sitting on the bike with your hands/feet on the bars/pedals. Then get the one closest to that.

But if it was me I'd just turn on the lock-out and be done.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Razorfish said:
If that's from the website it's probably the full extended length. There will be some sag. To get it perfect (or close) I would have somebody measure it while you're sitting on the bike with your hands/feet on the bars/pedals. Then get the one closest to that.

But if it was me I'd just turn on the lock-out and be done.
Theres not lock out on the Domain, and it is finding its home on a more appropriate bike :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tkblazer said:
get the 29er one, i ran one on my hardtail 26er and it slackened it out just enough to make it fun to ride around
I did grab the 29 version and it looks like it will fit wonderfully. I am now just waiting for my super sexy King Earl front wheel to sell or someone to trade me for a decent 6bolt disc QR wheel so I can get rolling on it! I may end up trying out a 29er up front this year as well, since there is more than enough clearance on the downtube to allow it. Just a matter of having the extra money down the road :)

from what I have figured so far, my Hardtail will be losing a total of near 7 pounds...
possibly over 8lbs if I install the Single Ring GXP 32T crankset and Stronglight Ti Twister BB

Oh decisions, decisions :)

I cant wait to get on this thing and put on some miles again!

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Are you sure the tire will clear? At least you don't have to worry about suspension compression I guess. I don't think that frame was ever designed around a 160mm fork, much less a 29er. But if you're fine with the geometry with that Domain on there, the 29 fork will still be closer to the geometry that bike was designed around.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jim311 said:
Are you sure the tire will clear? At least you don't have to worry about suspension compression I guess. I don't think that frame was ever designed around a 160mm fork, much less a 29er. But if you're fine with the geometry with that Domain on there, the 29 fork will still be closer to the geometry that bike was designed around.
Believe it or not, the frame was designed for up to 160mm forks. Leader reps personally gave the a gaurantee on that, so Im not worried about potential damages or anything of that nature.

I am not sure a 29 tire will clear, but I can cross that bridge when I come to it... as its not so much of a priority right now.

The geo of the bike feels damn near spot on now from what I can tell just by standing over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.