Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Every time I see 'Local legends" on Strava I just see somebody who doesn't set his privacy settings. "XXXX has 32 efforts in 90 days" There are hundreds of people who have ridden that segment more than that, but they don't have to advertise it to the world.
You'll still get local legends status with heat maps turned off, I think you have to have your activities set to only you can view or your followers if you want to avoid leader boards and local legends.

Funny how everyone is up in arms about Strava, Trail forks is worse IMHO. At lease on Strava you have to hunt for the info a little rather than it being published on a map with descriptions.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,020 Posts
What is this "Strava" of which you speak?

·
orthonormal
4,800 Posts
And one more point, E-bikers especially seem to often post routes that start and end at their house, inviting a garage break-in.
Setting a privacy zone is a good idea if you ride from home.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Funny how everyone is up in arms about Strava, Trail forks is worse IMHO. At least on Strava you have to hunt for the info a little rather than it being published on a map with descriptions.
THIS! I don't really care about STRAVA but Trailfork logs are a direct neon-lit sign pathway to the trails.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,250 Posts
THIS! I don't really care about STRAVA but Trailfork logs are a direct neon-lit sign pathway to the trails.
Trailforks is such a great resource when you are on the road, in a different town, and looking to ride something new. Like, Tahoe, or Moab, etc.. But the downside to that in some cases is, once a trail is uploaded, there is no way that I have heard of, that the admins will remove an added route. The internet is truly "forever".

Case in point. In our area we had a recent addition to a lesser-known trail where one individual took it upon themselves to upload the route to Trailforks. The result was other trail users went from "oh hey, there is a trail there!? I did not know that" to "Oh hey! There's like 10 trails all right here! Let's also load those up on Trailforks, too!"

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Strava uses Open Street Map for its mapping. Looking at those Strava Maps as well as Open Street Maps is where I find unsanctioned trails in NorCal. As far as I can tell OSM doesn't get any data from Strava.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Trailforks is such a great resource when you are on the road, in a different town, and looking to ride something new...
Agreed and I use TF for when I can travel. I also subscribe as well to help support the "official" side of the house. Unfortunately, people really shouldn't need to be told that adding any unofficial trail to it is not a good idea, but here we are lol.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
I would still like to see someone put together a detailed FAQ on how to disable heat maps, how to not have their GPS tracking data on for Garmins, etc. and advice on keeping trails private on trailforks and other apps. Start one up in the General section and I will sticky it and create some links from the GPS forum as well.

You will become an MTBR hero.

·
i'm schralping yer thread
1,159 Posts
Trailforks is such a great resource when you are on the road, in a different town, and looking to ride something new. Like, Tahoe, or Moab, etc.. But the downside to that in some cases is, once a trail is uploaded, there is no way that I have heard of, that the admins will remove an added route. The internet is truly "forever".
Huh...maybe things have changed but I know some trail admins in my area who have definitely been able to take down gray trails.

·
F*** it
1,110 Posts
^^ Yep, I know some trails around Truckee were removed, so it's possible.

·
F*** it
1,110 Posts
What was the criteria that allowed that/those trails to be removed? Because I messaged the PB admin pleading my case that the most current trail added to our network needed to be removed, and was denied.
No idea, sorry. They were there one month, gone the next.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What was the criteria that allowed that/those trails to be removed? Because I messaged the PB admin pleading my case that the most current trail added to our network needed to be removed, and was denied.
I have had a few trails removed from Trailforks. What I did was highlight the trail, click the web button(next to directions), then scroll all the way to bottom of that page and flag the trail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
...But the downside to that in some cases is, once a trail is uploaded, there is no way that I have heard of, that the admins will remove an added route. The internet is truly "forever".
Trailforks took Side-O (in Berkeley) off the site, so it's definitely possible to flag/remove unsanctioned trails.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
when trailforks takes a trail "off the site" it doesn't really go away it just becomes invisible to the common user. Admins can still see it and it remains so that if someone tries to upload it again, db sees it as a duplicate and won't finish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
when trailforks takes a trail "off the site" it doesn't really go away it just becomes invisible to the common user. Admins can still see it and it remains so that if someone tries to upload it again, db sees it as a duplicate and won't finish.
Region admins (land managers) can also see it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Why do you have to "build" trails? What's wrong with just a can of spray paint or a few ribbons to tag & few trees/rocks/whatever to give you the general direction to head in, and simply ride the natural terrain? Why does it have to be a formed trail? Some of the best fun I've had is following animal trails through the bush with a little hand saw, trimming the odd branch here & there that tries to poke your eye out. And a bit of hike a bike over impassable obstacles thrown in for good measure

101 - 120 of 134 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.