Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm not sad. I frankly don't GAF.
Frankly, if you don't GAF then you're either part of the problem or you're not the caliber of rider that would understand and benefit from most of the trails that builders try to keep under the radar.

Good thing you live a good distance away and the only skin in the game is your keyboard.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
1,114 Posts
I did not even know what heat maps are nor that they even existed.
So thanks but no thanks guys for making me feel like the old punk that I am.
:(:p🍻

·
EAT MORE GRIME
5,616 Posts
Frankly, if you don't GAF then you're either part of the problem or you're not the caliber of rider that would understand and benefit from most of the trails that builders try to keep under the radar.

Good thing you live a good distance away and the only skin in the game is your keyboard.
wow same reply to Harold, as to me, like an canned Outlook sig file or sumting

get over yourself, you are not the Holy Saint of Blood-Sweat-Tears of MTB trail kung-fu

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
griping on the internet about people recording their rides on illegal trails on Strava. that's rich.
Agreed. Ignorantly and unrealistically dum

If you're going to put in the effort to build it, do it above board so it won't get shut down... or don't winge about it.

But I do like the idea of a thread in the General or the Computer/Garmin section on how to disable Heatmap and how to make rides private. If you write up a detailed post on how to do those things I would be happy to make it a sticky and you can update it over time as the way of doing private rides / heatmap settings changes in the App.
Fantastic idea. I'm all for restricting big tech's use of "my" data.

Reactions: Klurejr

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,125 Posts
Just checked my settings, heat map was off! I must have previously gotten the memo. I do leave flybys on in case someone out on the trail thinks the crossed paths with a celebrity and they’re looking for that confirmation. I think the local legends feature is kind of cool too. Maybe it could use a better name but you get to see what crazy SOB is out there climbing what hills.
:alien:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Just sayin'... if you're not going to post a human at the trail 24/7/365 to confiscate phones, watches, GPSs it's unrealistic to expect to keep it a secret. Someone/many will accidentally leave a fingerprint.

·
Registered
458 Posts
While maybe not this thread since it is a bit too specific about a single trail system and in a specific Regional. But I do like the idea of a thread in the General or the Computer/Garmin section on how to disable Heatmap and how to make rides private. If you write up a detailed post on how to do those things I would be happy to make it a sticky and you can update it over time as the way of doing private rides / heatmap settings changes in the App.

Maybe even take it a step further and post how to do the same thing for all the other tracking apps out there. I know there are a few others.

If you do write something up and I miss it send me a PM, I would be happy to sticky it.
This seems like a constructive direction. I don't have time to write up a full post on it right now, and maybe someone else is already working on it? But, here are some ideas for reducing traffic on trails that don't handle high traffic from newer riders, especially during the pandemic, where a ton of people are showing up with different assumptions than the tech savvy crowd here, like "everything on Trailforks is an official trail" etc.
  1. Find out which trails are OK'd by the land manager for bicycles. Look at the trailhead map. Find and ask your local MTB group. Or, ask on MTBR.com
  2. Don't post public (Strava, Trailforks, MTB Project, Meetup, MTB Group message board, MTBR etc.) rides/segments/routes on trails if you aren't sure if all the trails you rode on were OK'd by the land manager
  3. Turn off Strava Heatmap: Strava Global Heatmap and how to opt out of it - MBR

·
orthonormal
4,800 Posts
My heatmap is off. The situation here wrt social trails is unlike anywhere else I know of.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
My heatmap is off. The situation here wrt social trails is unlike anywhere else I know of.
Where is “here”?
There is the same exact situation in every west coast riding destination I’ve visited, even places with excellent legal trails like the PNW.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,266 Posts
This seems like a constructive direction. I don't have time to write up a full post on it right now, and maybe someone else is already working on it? But, here are some ideas for reducing traffic on trails that don't handle high traffic from newer riders, especially during the pandemic, where a ton of people are showing up with different assumptions than the tech savvy crowd here, like "everything on Trailforks is an official trail" etc.
  1. Find out which trails are OK'd by the land manager for bicycles. Look at the trailhead map. Find and ask your local MTB group. Or, ask on MTBR.com
  2. Don't post public (Strava, Trailforks, MTB Project, Meetup, MTB Group message board, MTBR etc.) rides/segments/routes on trails if you aren't sure if all the trails you rode on were OK'd by the land manager
  3. Turn off Strava Heatmap: Strava Global Heatmap and how to opt out of it - MBR
That's a good start. Anyone wanna add to it and I can post it up. I am thinking it might be worth have 2 of these threads. One as a Sticky in the General Section and one as a Sticky in the GPS Section. Only one would remain open for comments and the other would link to the one that is open.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Do it above board?

Talk to me about ANY progressive trail built around here in the past 15 years. Flow is about as gnar as it will get and...well.
With a substantial portion of the best trails in CA being built outside of any land managers direction, and HUNDREDS of riders are showing up every weekend to ride the better known illegal trail systems that are selectively enforced... I find it baffling that people can't grasp the concept that unsanctioned challenging/purpose built trails are an asset that's worth being protected.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
With a substantial portion of the best trails in CA being built outside of any land managers direction, and HUNDREDS of riders are showing up every weekend to ride the better known trail illegal systems that are selectively enforced... I find it baffling that people can't grasp the concept that unsanctioned challenging/purpose built trails are an asset that's worth being protected.
Clearly an asset, but how do you expect HUNDREDS of riders to keep a secret when at least some are Stravatards and most don't know what they are clicking when they accept "Terms and Conditions" on an app? Tech (Big or little) sells data to pay their salary.

Reactions: Klurejr

·
Registered
109 Posts
So much unnecessary arguing over a simple and reasonable request.

The Strava heatmap is turned on by default, so many people who use the app may not know that they're revealing the location of off-map trails they may be riding.

• You only ride legal trails? Cool, no need to worry.

• You enjoy the occasional stealth trail? Cool, can you check your settings so you don't reveal the goods? Thanks.

100% agree with Squashyo's point here. Very simple thing to turn off heatmap tracking. Do it for your own account, spread the word when you can, keep secret trails secret a little longer. Every bit helps.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Clearly an asset, but how do you expect HUNDREDS of riders to keep a secret when at least some are Stravatards and most don't know what they are clicking when they accept "Terms and Conditions" on an app? Tech (Big or little) sells data to pay their salary.
This thread would be a start.

·
Registered
503 Posts
the solution is clear, social trails should be protected with punji sticks, spike strips, poison oak and boy band music. Thread can be closed now.

61 - 80 of 134 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.