Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you are going to use Strava, good for you but please turn your F'ing heat maps off!! If you're going to ride ANY of our stealth trails around here, you cannot expect them to last if you publish them for the world to see. I am so miffed at seeing some very new trails blaring on these maps...makes being a trail builder very frustrating. There are signs all over these trails that say, "NO STRAVA" but yet..grrrrr. AND....why are some people creating segments on stealth trails?

WTF!!? Seriously....come on!!

www.strava.com/settings/privacy
Scroll down and uncheck:
Metro and Heatmap
Include your activities in Metro and Heatmap

If you find someone's hard work, practice cool behavior. Turn your Strava off or make it VERY private and TURN OFF YOUR HEAT MAP! And don't tell everyone about your cool find. I can't believe how many people have told me about a trail I built who just randomly met me on a ride. It's like this weird desire to look cool by sharing a secret to a total stranger...just don't, please.

Anyhow, sorry but so aggravating to see these purple lines on some fine trails that will not last if they are visible for all to see.

Thank you for listening and hope you can comply. Tell your friends.

Yours truly,
Gromms everywhere.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
What crawled up your butt and died?
I just find it comical when people build illegal trails and then get all butthurt when others ride them and don’t abide by the “code” of the past.

play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I just find it comical when people build illegal trails and then get all butthurt when others ride them and don’t abide by the “code” of the past.

play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
If you think that’s comical, I should introduce you to someone who will literally confront anyone face to face that he doesn’t recognize on “his” local trails and interrogate them on how, why, where, etc they found out about the trails. Then publicly shame you on his social media accounts. Lol

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You're 10 years too late.

And these trails show up on many other sites before they show up on Strava.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
If you think that’s comical, I should introduce you to someone who will literally confront anyone face to face that he doesn’t recognize on “his” local trails and interrogate them on how, why, where, etc they found out about the trails. Then publicly shame you on his social media accounts. Lol
Then I can introduce you to someone who built illegal trails on private land he does not own, documented it on social media and then attempted to sell access to know where the trail was..... lol

so much presumption from some, makes me laugh at the absurdity.

and for those asking, no, I would not and have not posted my heat maps n rides on secret trails I know about, nor would I tattle. But I think it is unreasonable to expect that behavior from everyone who finds the “secret” trails. Technology has ruined that aspect of this sport. The cat cannot go back in the bag now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you are going to use Strava, good for you but please turn your F'ing heat maps off!! If you're going to ride ANY of our stealth trails around here, you cannot expect them to last if you publish them for the world to see. I am so miffed at seeing some very new trails blaring on these maps...makes being a trail builder very frustrating. There are signs all over these trails that say, "NO STRAVA" but yet..grrrrr. AND....why are some people creating segments on stealth trails?
I feel ya, we have the same issue in our area as well.....got to love it when these idiots post instructions publicly with pictures on Strava or Insta.....or create new segments trimmed down so they get a fast time. Then these morons stripe in the entrance and exit.

Its truly just ignorance, like the Menehune's are out there cleaning up dead fall, blown out sections and overall maintenance. There is no more respect for the trail goats.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Every time I see 'Local legends" on Strava I just see somebody who doesn't set his privacy settings. "XXXX has 32 efforts in 90 days" There are hundreds of people who have ridden that segment more than that, but they don't have to advertise it to the world.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Are heatmaps a premium feature on Strava now or can you view them without subscription?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Then I can introduce you to someone who built illegal trails on private land he does not own, documented it on social media and then attempted to sell access to know where the trail was..... lol

so much presumption from some, makes me laugh at the absurdity.

and for those asking, no, I would not and have not posted my heat maps n rides on secret trails I know about, nor would I tattle. But I think it is unreasonable to expect that behavior from everyone who finds the “secret” trails. Technology has ruined that aspect of this sport. The cat cannot go back in the bag now.
I don't find respect unreasonable what so ever.

You are correct that the tech has ruined this aspect of the sport. The new era (most) is simply fueled by likes, kudos and getting an insta glory shot.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,207 Posts
I don't find respect unreasonable what so ever.

You are correct that the tech has ruined this aspect of the sport. The new era (most) is simply fueled by likes, kudos and getting an insta glory shot.
It is sad that some cannot do anything in their life without needing to share it and crave the attention of “likes”. That attitude permeates all aspects of people’s lives these days.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
So you recognize the issues with technology, acknowledge that there are too many dorks chasing likes, and you say you wouldn't expose secret trails... yet you lack of respect for the small amount of discretion the OP is asking for???

Stating the obvious here, but the "code" is so we can ride challenging, purpose built trails in the land of overcrowded neutered "sanctioned" dirt roads.

OP, good on you for fighting upstream on this.

·
Cycologist
6,924 Posts
Every time I see 'Local legends" on Strava I just see somebody who doesn't set his privacy settings. "XXXX has 32 efforts in 90 days" There are hundreds of people who have ridden that segment more than that, but they don't have to advertise it to the world.
Local legends is a really dumb feature. I've gotten it by riding a segment twice and my daughter got it riding around the neighborhood.

Reactions: trmn8er and Klurejr

·
Registered
366 Posts
stravassholes strike again. i typically don't ride unsanctioned trails (mainly cuz i'm a hermit and don't have friends with the beta). but i have noticed that my local trails have curvy sections that are becoming 'straightened' by strava richard cabezas cutting corners looking to shave .001 seconds off their PRs. grrrr.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's lame of me to think I will reach the people that need to hear this on MTBR and most of you are tuned in to "codes'.

But, many people likely do not know that heatmaps are auto ON and need to be manually turned off. Since most of you likely hunt and find 'fun' trails, would be cool if you could go turn this feature off and be a friend and not be hungry to tell people even though it's a big temptation.

Does anyone know if heated trails can be removed? Asking for a friend.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts