Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

· Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

Strava doing Strava things, being the worse communicators in this space. Silently raised prices without notifying users. No explanation why your pricing depending on type of account and location goes up 50%+ next renewal cycle. Great video from DC Rainmaker trying to get Strava to respond to his requests.

In defense of Strava, they held the $60 US fee for a long time without any increases but jumping from annual $60 to $80 (in the US) it bit extreme. Sure this will lose tons of subs (im canceling my wifes today) and more negative backlash if they just slowly increased prices every few years. Since I'm a heavy Strava user the extra $1.66 month isnt going to hurt me.

Setting up my popcorn stand for the comments - feed me the Strava hate

Admin edit: Photo added for newsletter and social

· psycho cyclo addict
3,488 Posts
I use the free version to post routes (from my $10 per year Cyclemeter app subscription) for others to see and that's it. Strava's app and web UI's are horrid in my opinion.

· membership renounced
2,501 Posts
People pay for Strava?
All this time I thought it was free.
...and still I didn't want it.
=sParty
I pay for it, mainly because of how much I use it, and enjoy it. Doesn't really have anything to do with "premium features".

Gotta laugh at the Strava deadbeats complaining about it's price, but riding big $$$ bikes and paying $8/pint for beers after a ride.

· membership renounced
2,501 Posts
What does Strava provide that other services like Trailforks do not?
I don't know what Trailforks does, but with Strava I do enjoy the social component - seeing what my friends are up to. I also enjoy being able to set goals, seeing year end data, and keeping track of mileage on each bike I ride. Lately, I've really started to make use of the "heat map" signatures while out riding areas I'm not familiar with, or even just planning rides. So often, there are roads and trails I find on maps and various apps that look like they're open, but then when I cross reference with Strava I can see nobody goes that way, and it's usually for good reason - private land, gated, etc.

· Registered
321 Posts
I pay for it, mainly because of how much I use it, and enjoy it. Doesn't really have anything to do with "premium features".

Gotta laugh at the Strava deadbeats complaining about it's price, but riding big $$$ bikes and paying $8/pint for beers after a ride.

I find more value in that $8 beer (for me super burrito) than whatever premium Strava provides though. I mean isn’t it just taking stats from Garmin connect (or whatever device you’re using)?

· Registered
1,707 Posts
I don't know what Trailforks does, but with Strava I do enjoy the social component - seeing what my friends are up to. I also enjoy being able to set goals, seeing year end data, and keeping track of mileage on each bike I ride. Lately, I've really started to make use of the "heat map" signatures while out riding areas I'm not familiar with, or even just planning rides. So often, there are roads and trails I find on maps and various apps that look like they're open, but then when I cross reference with Strava I can see nobody goes that way, and it's usually for good reason - private land, gated, etc.
Just about all of these features are available in Trailforks. Admittedly, many of them appear to have been in Strava first, and then copied by Trailforks. I'm not sure if there are other competing apps like Strava and Trailforks, but it seems to me at this point these two are virtual clones, except Trailforks has better maps. Yet Strava pro is twice the price? Why?

· membership renounced
2,501 Posts
I find more value in that $8 beer (for me super burrito) than whatever premium Strava provides though. I mean isn’t it just taking stats from Garmin connect (or whatever device you’re using)?
Again, I don't pay for it because of some special features that "premium" provides, I pay for it because I'm not a freeloader.

I just use it on my phone. No need for an additional devise.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
19,073 Posts
Just about all of these features are available in Trailforks. Admittedly, many of them appear to have been in Strava first, and then copied by Trailforks. I'm not sure if there are other competing apps like Strava and Trailforks, but it seems to me at this point these two are virtual clones, except Trailforks has better maps. Yet Strava pro is twice the price? Why?
Want all that plus even better maps than Trailforks?

Try Gaia.
=sParty

· Nurse Ben
11,970 Posts
Mountain biker at trailhead:

Dropper battery charged: check
Two gels in righ pocket: check
Protein powder mix in water bottle: check
Strava loaded: ERROR, upgrade not completed
Text from wife: “pick up dry cleaning, be home by 5p to get ready for the show”

Start Time: 4:30

🤣

· Nurse Ben
11,970 Posts
I was expecting to wait another 100 replies about the benefits of strava before offering logical solutions to easy problems.
I remember running an odometer many years ago on my road bike to measure miles and to keep track of time, but really once I knew my routes it wasn’t necessary; so it was a clock.

I never got into measuring output, I just rode when and where I wanted, biking has always been exercise and entertainment to me.

Strava and it’s ilk make a fun sport into a competitive task. to me that seems petty and meaningless. Our lives are already so constrained by rules, time, obligations, expectations, why add to it?

One of my pet leaves, and the reason I prefer riding alone, is the time constraints and expectations of others. Nothing is more relaxing than going for a ride with my dogs, stopping to rest and water them, just enjoying my time outside.

Strava is stoopid.

· since 4/10/2009
37,569 Posts
I don't really get much value out of any of the apps. I've had a Strava account since before they had a premium level, and that basic account has done what I wanted. but honestly, I find myself caring less and less about it.

if I was going to pay for mapping app services, I'd pay for Outside +. I'd get a lot more value out of Trailforks and Gaia for the money. And y'all probably remember I wasn't happy with the way Trailforks went to a subscription. But even then, the basic versions of both of those work for me just fine.

· RIDDLELDDIR
1,760 Posts
Once strava started charging for their services, and I can't blame them for wanting to make money, I fled the scene.

In hindsight, I feel fortunate to have been able to upload and catalog the important trails to trailforks while strava was free. As a trailforks admin, now that strava has began charging, the uploads from strava to trailforks has seized to exist. I might get one POI or edit once every 6 months now. 3 years ago it was every day.

1 - 20 of 217 Posts