Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Stratos S8 and its leaking from what seems to be the bottom bolt.. Its the bolt that you add oil in... Has anyone had this problem.. They sent me a new bolt but now I am not sure its even comming from that part.. Its not the seals because I can see its comming from the bottom of the fork.. Any ideas, I love this fork and I just want to fix this problem and its driving me nuts..

· Banned
7,032 Posts
one of my stanctions would occasionally screw loose from the dropout, this is possible due to the design of the S8. When it did this, it would leak oil, but it was easy to fix (just tighten it) and it was fairly rare.

· Registered
4,927 Posts
S8's are GREAT forks!

More than likely a torn/worn o-ring, you should have replaced them with the new bolts!

As for fork oil, don't be afraid to play with weight and levels. Onsport recommends 5-15 weigt ATF fluid but I ended up using 5 wt. cycle shock oil (I'm 165 lbs) and it works better than any other fork I've ever tried.

Rock and ROLL!

G MAN

· Registered
603 Posts
Jm. said:
transmission oil (no really)...
my friend has stratos S8 and was told by his lbs to run transmission fluid, he has replaced his seals 2 times in the past 3 years due to leaks when he asked stratos about it they told him not to put transmission fluid in it as it wrecks the seals *wierd eh :p* he runs 5 weight Harley davidson fork oil now, it's 10 bucks canadian for 1/2 a litre but it's not like ya have to change it once a month like my boxxer's lol.

· Registered
191 Posts
I've had very good luck using the Golden Spectro oil in my S8. Its a noticable improvement over the atf fluid. It can be hard to find though.

· Banned
7,032 Posts
AKRida said:
my friend has stratos S8 and was told by his lbs to run transmission fluid, he has replaced his seals 2 times in the past 3 years due to leaks when he asked stratos about it they told him not to put transmission fluid in it as it wrecks the seals *wierd eh :p* he runs 5 weight Harley davidson fork oil now, it's 10 bucks canadian for 1/2 a litre but it's not like ya have to change it once a month like my boxxer's lol.
yeah, thats wierd because their forks and rear shocks come stock with ATF fluid

· Registered
4,927 Posts
Ryebread said:
I've had very good luck using the Golden Spectro oil in my S8. Its a noticable improvement over the atf fluid. It can be hard to find though.
DUUUUUDE!

I checked and that is EXACTLY what I used in mine. And here I thought I was the only one to figure this out! Since switching, the thing is so smooth you cannot WIPE the smile off my face! Oddly enough, it did not speed up my rebound too much as I had feared - I can still dial down the rb to nearly dead if I want.

As far as hard to find, I've seen it at most cycle/sled shops with a decent parts inventory.

Rock and ROLL!

G

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.