Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally, a bicycle that actually fits me! Disclaimer: This bike will not really be a singlespeed, as I'm waiting on drivetrain pieces. But, I had to build it up so as to squeeze in a test ride. I figured that while it's identifying as a single speed, I would share it it with you all. #waltworks

· Registered
958 Posts
Kick ass! Lots of questions :)

How’d you finish it? Looks like clearcoat of some sort over raw steel. Did you do it yourself? (Looks awesome)

Tires. How many 36er options are there?

157 or 148 rear end?

That stem. Short and negative rise! What is it?

Most importantly, how does it ride, and why aren’t you keeping it SS? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
HAHAHA. Ohhh man...I'm never going to live that incident down!!! Although, it was single speed related! So, to answer some inquiries about this steed... I commissioned Walt of Waltworks to fab me up a 36'er. He agreed to take the project on, however, he advised me that finding wheels and tires were going to be a major challenge. There's only a few companies that make wheel parts this big. 36 inch wheels are apparently sporatically employed in the Unicycle world. That said... there has been a lengthy wait for rims and tires. The rims I wanted for this build are carbon. And, they have been backordered for well over a year. Same thing with tires. There's a company called Coker which makes a utilitarian, heavy steel 36er. It almost looks like something you would find at Walmart. Anyway, they make a few tires as well and one is quite heavy and the tread pattern, instead of knobs, says "COKER". The other tire looks to be something you would find on a comfort bike. Ridiculous.

I threw my name on the waitlist for rims and tires and was told there would be an indefinite wait. In April, I received a notification that the rims became available and I immediately jumped on a pair. But, it turned out only one was really available. The only reason I was able to score a second rim, was because someone else that had already purchased one, had returned it! These things literally sold out in minutes!

So, I had wheels. But, now the holdup would be tires. The same drill...I got on the waitlist. By some miracle...I again got an email saying they were available. Despite jumping on and scoring a set, they too, sold out within minutes. Call it dumb luck if you want...but, I now had the key ingredients locked down!

I'll answer some of your other questions , later.

4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Rear wheel spacing is 190mm.
Front wheel is 142mm.
Frame is steel, and it's unfinished for now, until I decide on a color.
Tires are Vee rubber 2.25 X 36. They're the most dirt capable tires I could find. I'm not holding my breath for a 36" Minion.
I should have the drive train next week (Sram GX 12 speed). Then I can get this thing out for it's maiden voyage. Just pedaling around my property very carefully, as there is no tension on the chain...it feels like it's going to be a riot! I opted to not go with SS drops on this build, as I figured that trying to push this large of a gear inch setup would destroy my knees.

I threw it on the scale and was astonished at how light it is. Of course it will gain about a 1/2 of a pound once it gets it's gears. But still, it is lighter than most of my other singlespeeds that are both Ti and steel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.