Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm experiencing strange, kind of clicking or snapping sounds from my bikes front hub. The snaps can be heard only if I'm applying pressure on the handlebars (as one usually does when biking...). The hub lets off a snap once per one revolution of the wheel, and it sometimes gets worse after awhile.

The rig is a Niner MCR 9, but all parts come from a GF Paragon 08, and that's why I'm posting here instead of the Niner forum. The rims and hubs are Bontrager Rhythm Comp Disc 29.

My local LBS didn't have a clue as to the source of the sound (which btw is very annoying, the sound, not the LBS), they checked the hub's bearings and thought that there were nothing wrong with them. Their opinion was that the rims "are still searching for their final shape", or something like that, so its the rims, not the hubs, that are making the noise.

Has anyone experienced something similar like this? I would be grateful for any hints.

Cheers,

Major

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
How old is the wheel? New wheels will let out a few pinging sounds as the spokes get seated but that should only last a ride or two, I imagine that is what the LBS is refering to. I wish I could be more help, I just solved my problem with a rear hub on my Superfly so I am fresh out of strange sounds from wheelsets info.

Brew

·
Registered
7 Posts
hub/wheel noise

My friend has a GF paragon 29er. He got a new set of wheels from GF when they could not fix the noise they were making. He sent the wheels in twice. This is on a 2008. I have a Hi Fi Pro 29er and have not had the issues he did. Wish I did since the new wheels are nicer than the 2008 wheels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wheel is a few months old, but I haven't gotten that many miles on them yet, I'd guess 100 or so, maybe less. Perhaps I'll just have to ride the bike for a while longer, and see if the sounds disappear.

Thanks anyway

Major

Brewboy74 said:
How old is the wheel? New wheels will let out a few pinging sounds as the spokes get seated but that should only last a ride or two, I imagine that is what the LBS is refering to. I wish I could be more help, I just solved my problem with a rear hub on my Superfly so I am fresh out of strange sounds from wheelsets info.

Brew

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
It's likely the small piece of aluminum that is used to join the two ends of the rim extrusion together when it's welded. It can come loose and rattle. I had it happen to a Bontrager Race Lite front wheel and the shop warranteed it. If they won't waranty it, I've heard of people taking a small punch to the inside to the rim next to the seam (opposite the valve hole) to secure the piece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OR it could be the bearings in the Bonty hub.

It happened to my Cake 2 DLX and now to my Fisher Hifi Plus 2008.

The bike shop said something is loose inside the bearing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, thanks for all the hints, I'll check out both the bearings and the rim again, this time a bit more closely.

I'll let you know when the riddle is solved (alas, if it can be solved) :)

M

·
Registered
228 Posts
Buddy's '08 Paragon had the same problem. After taking it on a few rides I found out the culprit was the blue rim strip. The tube was pushing sideways on the plastic rim strip and causing it to have a "snapping" effect on each wheel revolution. Replace it,and your problem will be solved.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hear, hear! The snapping rim -story continues.

A couple of weeks ago I took the bike (just the wheels, actually) to my lbs and asked them to change the rim strip to another one, which WindWithMe said was the culprit in his case, but when I got home and put the wheels back on, the sound was still there.. Agh! I'm not completely sure the guy at the lbs really did change the strip, cause he seemed a bit, I don't know, nervous when I asked him about it. I'll probably have to take a look for myself.

Next I guess I'll try the remedy that kdiddy suggested, and if that doesn't work, well, I suppose I'll try to convince my lbs that I need a new rim. :)

Major

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any news?

I have a 2008 Xcal and have the same issue, if I hold the rear brake and sit on the bike. If I rock back and forth there's a metallic ping coming from the front wheel. It almost seems like the spokes are moving on the hubs...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, no news here (and this time no news isn't good news). :(

I went for a ride today, and the same noise was still there, as adamant and irritating as ever... Tomorrow I will call my lbs and have them replace the entire rim.

Hope you find a solution to your problem; it really is a strange one.

Major

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the problem it was a popping sound from the front tire. My lbs said it was a spoke. Said they applied some grease and when I got it back it still made it but was considerably quitier. Rode a little while to let the grease get in better and it completely went away. It's been two months and it's still gone.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
kdiddy said:
It's likely the small piece of aluminum that is used to join the two ends of the rim extrusion together when it's welded. It can come loose and rattle. I had it happen to a Bontrager Race Lite front wheel and the shop warranteed it. If they won't waranty it, I've heard of people taking a small punch to the inside to the rim next to the seam (opposite the valve hole) to secure the piece.
:thumbsup:
+1 on that one. I had a hell of a time figuring that one out on a mavic rim'd wheel a few years back, and since then I've seen it on others....not on Bontragers specifically, but I've only owned 1 pair of those.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts